And another hobby.

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Walkingthedog

Re: And another hobby.

Post by Walkingthedog »

I was reading about the Norwegian ports not giving the cruise tourists a very warm welcome.

In the above picture have those three ships arrived or are some of them based there?
Nurse, the screens!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Walkingthedog wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:29 pm I was reading about the Norwegian ports not giving the cruise tourists a very warm welcome.

In the above picture have those three ships arrived or are some of them based there?

WTD.
The three ships in the photograph are in Civitavecchia, the port for Rome.

As for the Norwegian ports? The people there do want the people and the ships to arrive. It is there livelihood.
The Anti-cruise campaign group, CruiseNOTWelcome group are against cruise ships arriving in Norway.
Not wishing to be political, but like a lot of Anti This or That, I bet most of the people campaigning do not live near the ports.

Venice is a similar situation. The people there are losing money as cruise ships are visiting the lovely city Trieste instead.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Glencairn I did realise where the ships were just wondered if they had arrived together.

We were in Bergen in September 2017, arrived by train. The place was fairly quite and I mentioned this when we went to book a table for lunch. Chap said the last two days the whole had been absolutely packed because two cruise ships had arrived together. He said it was a pity they didn’t spread the arrivals to stop overcrowding. I’m sure the shops selling Norwegian pullovers must have made a fortune.

Nowhere wants overcrowding and the ships are getting bigger and bigger.
Nurse, the screens!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

[
Walkingthedog wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:28 pm Glencairn I did realise where the ships were just wondered if they had arrived together.
Enchanted Princess and Regal Princess left Livorno (8th July) together arriving Civitavecchia 7.00AM 9th July. Marella Discovery arrived (from Sardinia) at 06.30 AM. Enchanted Princess dearted 7.00PM. Marella Discovery departed 7.30PM. Regal Princess left at 7.50PM.

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Walkingthedog wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:28 pm
We were in Bergen in September 2017, arrived by train. The place was fairly quite and I mentioned this when we went to book a table for lunch. Chap said the last two days the whole had been absolutely packed because two cruise ships had arrived together. He said it was a pity they didn’t spread the arrivals to stop overcrowding. I’m sure the shops selling Norwegian pullovers must have made a fortune.

Nowhere wants overcrowding and the ships are getting bigger and bigger.
Normally cruise companies would like only there ships in port.
In 2018 we did a 'Norwegian Cruise' supposedly to the far north. The weather in the Arctic was bad, so the ship stayed in the south of Norway. The cruise company made alternative arrangements for us to visit southern ports not on our itinery. It did cause more ships in ports, more than usual.

Glencairn
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

There were a couple in a Fjord we visited (by train). Had a boat trip round the fjord, must be a nice way to see them on a large ship.
Nurse, the screens!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Walkingthedog wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:16 pm There were a couple in a Fjord we visited (by train). Had a boat trip round the fjord, must be a nice way to see them on a large ship.
Our first time to the Fjords was on Queen Victoria in 2016. Amazing! I travelled the Flamsbana to Myrdal. A train to Bergen, but alighted at a station (the name I have forgotten) and a bus took us back to the ship. That was in Summertime. We did a cruise in Wintertime 2018. The scenery was magical as we travelled the Flamsbana once again.
Our last cruise to Norway was earlier this year on P&O ship Iona. (A birthday present from my wife.)

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

AIDAsol at the Port of Tyne 24th June 22
AIDAsol Port of Tyne 24.06.22.JPG
MSC Magnifica in Le Havre 17th Nov 21

MSC Magnifica in Le Havre 17.11.21.jpg
Costa Mediterranea in Dubai April 2018

Costa Mediterranea in Dubai.JPG

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

I do not normally take pictures of aircraft, but here is one for those liking aircraft. Seen at the Transport Museum, Sunderland.
IMG_2292.JPG
Glencairn
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Much better :D
Nurse, the screens!