Question about operations on my layout / signal positions

Help with designing your track work
Ancient Bear

Re: Question about operations on my layout / signal positions

Post by Ancient Bear »

Given that you have goaded me into waffling... (Albeit a couple of years ago...)
(Other people might like to have a look at some of the other possible information...)

Assuming that you go for a Down Bay (with wild, eager enthusiasm) the points into it would have a Facing Point Lock - which would have a "Lock Bar" along the nearside rail immediately before the toe of the points. This would work with the FPL on the same (Blue) lever. Its job is to prevent the points being changed while anything is on them.

Signal numbering and naming ... All companies numbered 123 and on left to right. Anything that had to be added later could well get A, B, etc at the low number end. EDP levers in a sub frame might not be numbered but could be A, B. EDPs are not interlocked with the rest of the levers.
The usual practice - which would apply here - is for the Running Signals to be at the outer ends of the frame - the lowest and highest numbers.
If you have Up line slotted Distant(s) for the junction Box you would also have the Down station Distant(s) slotted under at least some of the Junction's Down signals - possibly both Outer and Inner Distants. A slotted Distant coming from the Branch would almost certainly be Fixed Distant(s) (under the Branch Home(s) ).
Unlike the rest of the Big Four the LMS, followed by the LMR adopted a practice of only calling the last Running signal of Station Limits (the Section Signal) a Starter. All the Running signals before that were identified as Homes - Home 1, Home 2, Home 3 and then the Starter. This would make your Platform 2 signal probably Home 2 or possibly Home 3 - but being Home 3 would require Track Circuiting at least between Homes 1 and 2 - and probably in the platform and as an arrival TC In Rear of (before) Home 1. Provision of Outer Homes impacts on line capacity / headways.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Ancient Bear wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:08 pm OOPS!!! :o :oops:
I thought that the latest posts were at least this month...
Anyway - I love waffling - and the notes might be useful for other people looking at developing a similar layout.
The Forum seems to have been horribly quiet for some time. A great pity.
This forum is only as busy or quiet as its membership want it to be or for them to come along and place items here to be read!
If you want lots of forum action I would possibly suggest RMWeb may be a good place where many posts are made! They have over 40000 member's but then they have been in vouge for many years!
Your contributions are welcome and come with much knowledge :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Randy

Post by Randy »

As Brian has said, definitely a lot of really interesting insight here Ancient Bear! I really appreciate you taking the time to share the knowledge. But yes it was 2 years ago I posted this (I’m not sure why it showed in recent), I haven’t actually got round to adding scenery to this layout, because of rewiring, writing software for it and life in general. The reason I’m hoping to start a new layout is because I’m in a small flat now without the room, so would like to develop a layout that is both larger than the previous, but can be taken apart and stored in a cupboard or two (I doubt it’ll be easy). Also the imperfections of the previous layout have got to me so I’ll be more motivated with a fresh start!

The info you’ve given us here will certainly be useful for planning the new layout!