Static Grass Applicator

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
Brian

Re: Static Grass Applicator

Post by Brian »

It might be Stationary 8-)
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

It is most definitely that. :)
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Thanks for all the advice. I think to avoid any possible problems I will not attach the clip to the track at all. A nail into whatever adhesive I use I'm sure will suffice.

Roger B - The applicator was really a doddle to construct. The only things that took time, was cutting the square hole into the tube and filing a flat all round it, so that the switch snapped into place, and cutting the wire mesh, which required me to buy a pair of cheap tin snips from Wickes. Other than that, I had to wait a couple of weeks for the "works" to arrive from Australia - I'm sure others were available, but this one appeared to have worked well, and the overall construction meant no "shocks" were coming, as there are no power connections to the mesh. I'll report back when I've had a play - which may be a week or so.

I would add that if you decide to build one, the screw-on end caps do vary, depending on where you purchase them. I bought a couple from Wickes - about 80p each, but saw that the ones from Tool Station, about the same price, had a lip at the bottom of the thread, this meant I was able to screw the grass container onto the thread, with the lip stopping it coming off the thread, the cap was then attached inside the grass holder keeping it all in place. I've never seen the Noch version, but if it is of similar size, it's a fair old piece of kit. BB
Last edited by bulleidboy on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Thanks BB. Mine is perhaps not as "safe" as the one you have built in that it is possible to get a "belt" from the mesh if your fingers end up in the wrong place when you activate it - but it works well enough. I too put the pin in the PVA in the patch I am doing with all power and engines removed from the layout. I haven't tried the glues that Steve is referencing but will look that up for my next grass laying bash on V2. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Steve M wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:05 pm.... much prefer either Peco or WWS basing glue and layering spray (they’re made by the same people so just go by price).
Track Shack seem to have the best price on the Peco variant. Although it is difficult to see p&p until you get to the checkout. R-
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

For me, it’s the layering spray that makes the difference as it allows you to build up different depths and textures and to use different shades. It dries quickly and dries completely clear.

Image20180604_214202 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Certainly is a good effect - I suspect only in the hands of a Maestro. R-
Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

Hi

I have built a couple of small applicators following the guides on youboob and the little ion generators from EvilBay and they seem to work well, I also have the Peco one which does work but it works in an odd way, not using the grill as part of the circuit but using the disc at the bottom of the cup.

I was thinking about making a big one using one of the 10000kv generators from evilbay as used in the diy tazers on youboob but not sure if its worth the risk, although there are a couple of guys at my local club i would like accidently try it on 8-)

Paul
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

If I can get anything to look likes Steve's picture I will be more than happy. I will check out the adhesive. BB