New logging/mining layout

daviis

Re: New logging/mining layout

Post by daviis »

Dave S wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:55 pm I've spotted your cunning plan saving time and money by substituting many copper clad sleepers with alternative, lower cost and less soldering.
I tried this 50 years ago. Like you I had to cut/insulate sleepers on points with a craft knife.
For straights I made a jig about 3 feet long with a steel edging strip screwed down and many plastic spacers glued in precise position.
An Uncle was a tool maker at British aerospace and kindly made a guage for me (OO).
I made a complex points intersection and several straights, before realising it was taking too long and solder cost was substantial so aborted ifo peco track.

I can't remember if the fine track (finer than peco 100) would have meant I'd have trouble with the wheel flanges being too big and may have to be replaced. I was also careful in picking my sample stock for testing, that the wheels were actually correct as there is variance.
I reccomend checking what you have thoroughly before doing more.

I've been thinking myself what theme to go for on mine - Logging/mining is a good one.

Dave
Yes, i had to redo one turnout, because the crossing /wing rails were too close and caused a short circuit.
Since then I have tested them with all my locos and they work fine now.

I cut the insulation on the PCB boards with a dremel rotary tool, it only takes a few seconds per sleeper.

These are code 70 track, they should be OK with the loco and rolling stock I have for the layout.
daviis

Post by daviis »

My latest acquisitions (of course they will be repainted and lettered):

new_locos.jpg
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Interesting. I can see elements of Triang dock shunter with the smaller one (Tenshodo?) but the bigger one... Tell us more! :D
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
daviis

Post by daviis »

Second attempt at scratchbuilding a tree:

tree_build_1.jpg
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

As you mentioned mining...how about having some bogeys similar to your logging but with mining hopper and have a below ground perspex view (think ant farm) where you can see the below ground mining rail and trucks being pushed/pulled by man and mule, indiana Jones style?
The key thing is, it won't take up any extra space. :-)
...it's late, my mind is wandering.. now I'm thinking of a servo to animate a mini chainsaw for your logging. :shock:
daviis

Post by daviis »

Yes, thats already planned :)

The lower level is a mine with hoppers, the tracks that I have laid so far are in the mine area.
The upper level will have the station and the logging site.

Also i am planning to make a fully functional circular saw for the sawmill
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

And I thought I was being abstract and crazy! I look forward to seeing that.
As I've only recently come across the controlability of servos they could be used for a coliery head...though thought occurs to me do you still have shafts if you exit by rail.. though shorter route for workers I guess.
Found these pictures to inspire thought:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARDvAQ

Can computers activating servos also activate a sound file? Intermittent action of say coliery for shift change and siren going off, or random activation of your circular saw with appropriate noise.
..and your neighbours will think you are working hard when you are playing trains. ;-)
I know DCC trains can make sound, but haven't seen specifics yet if and how pc sounds can be added to chain of control commands - such as doors open/close when train stops at station - and that was my first expereince of stereo sound on when of those sampler records, showing left and right sound.
Poor cat thought a steam train had passed through the living room. :o
daviis

Post by daviis »

I'm a software engineer, so I'm pretty sure I can build the necesarry electronics and software to create any crazyness on my layout :)
Just need to have enough time, which is currently the bottleneck.

Thanks for the pictures, too :)
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Dave S wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:09 pm.
........Can computers activating servos also activate a sound file? Intermittent action of say coliery for shift change and siren going off, or random activation of your circular saw with appropriate noise.....
Absolutely, I have no less than six independent hidden speakers connected to mp3 players driven from microprocessors, some activated by pasing trains, on my modest layout.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I just say Alexa play ambient steam sounds, works a treat. .
Nurse, the screens!