Decision made

Steve M

Re: Decision made

Post by Steve M »

Do you have access all round the proposed baseboard? 3’ can be a bit of a stretch when reaching over. It can be done but things at the front of the layout can get easily damaged as you reach across.
Have you thought about track cleaning and access to the hidden areas for the inevitable derailments?
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Nickk

Post by Nickk »

Im hoping if I slightly widen the ends of the baseboaed I wont have to go below 18 inch radius which I belive is above radius 4 so hopefully wont be a problem. I have a personal bugbear about trains of coaches going round tight bends - the angle between the coaches offends me lol.

Point taken about access. The layout will be built a gainst the walls so all round access will not be possible. It may be possible to design the framework to allow access points I can duck underneath to. Im also wondering about making the upper level removeable to allow access to disasters and track cleaning. I belive you can get track cleaning wagons but I dont know if they are any good.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I spent much time picking bits of hedge, telegraph poles and even the occasional wagon from my pullover. 2ft6ins it about as far as you want to stretch. Sods law also guarantees that any derailment will be under something or just out of reach. An access hole is an excellent idea.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

As you have it at the moment, you will have a reverse loop on the section of track where the small station is located. This can be overcome easily, but thought it best to mention it now.
Nickk

Post by Nickk »

Thank you. I wanted a reverse loop so trains can return to the terminus. Now the thing is i know exactly how to wire this in DC. In fact i was going to have a seperate controller for this section. No idea how to do it in DCC but I think I read somewhere you can get some sort of module that does it automatically. Lots to learn :D. Very grateful for your input