Track options

Help with designing your track work
footplate1947

Re: Track options

Post by footplate1947 »

About 1 in 50 min incline or less if you are on a curve.,,,,,, Or better if the space will allow. Depends on the space you have and you have a very nice area indeed. You should be able to use nice gentle gradients as you have a large area available to you. Have fun planning..................John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Rodent - I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but you might find Brian Lamberts book "A Newcomers Guide to Model Railways" helpful. You can either buy a hard copy through Amazon (currently from about £10.00) or it is available to read online - it became my "bible" for a while. There is a new edition coming out, but I believe that edition will be "the next step" in railway modelling. BB
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

Thanks BB. That book looks good. I'll see if I can get hold of a copy. There seems to be so much information online too that I'm not short of reading material and forums (like this one) are really superb to be able to learn from those more experienced and knowledgeable. So thanks to everyone who has offered advice on my railway planning! I'm sure I have many more dumb questions to ask yet
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

There is no such thing as dumb question. We all like to chat about and see what others are doing on there layouts.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

" you might find Brian Lamberts book "A Newcomers Guide to Model Railways" helpful. You can either buy a hard copy through Amazon (currently from about £10.00) or it is available to read online - it became my "bible" for a while. There is a new edition coming out, but I believe that edition will be "the next step" in railway modelling. BB"

BB, I got hold of a copy of Brian lambert book from EBay recently so am looking forward to having a read. Thanks for the suggestion
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Don’t forget you can lessen the severity of an incline but going up and under. Half the climb is made by the upper line going over and the other half gained by the lower line going below board level. It takes a bit more board work and layout planning but it halves the gradient.
Rob