Benson, Arkansas

broadoak

Re: Benson, Arkansas

Post by broadoak »

A few shots of my ex. DRGW Alco S2 end cab switcher in the yard at Benson.
The Alco S2 is an Atlas model and although by modern standards is poorly detailed it is a superb performer, and at normal viewing distances looks fine I think. The real Alco’s were known for large clouds of black smoke when starting off, caused by the turbo charger. Note the looking Blunt trucks very different to the EMD AAR trucks.

Peter M
Chops

Post by Chops »

Superb work. One can almost feel the jungle-like humidity.
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

Thanks Chops, it does get very hot and humid in Arkansas I'm told.

Regards Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

A couple of pictures taken by Andy Knott of the TVRR Alco S2, another Bill Gates special rolling over the grade crossing at Benson. One was taken in daylight and the other, well actually that was taken in daylight as well, but photo-shopped by Andy.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

Another small yard switcher this time a model made for my 53rd birthday by my old friend Bill Gates. She is based on a Bachmann 44 ton switcher, much modified.
It is a representation of a General Electric 60 tonner.
She is seen in the yard at Benson on different occasions switching cuts of cars.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

A couple of shots of an SP SW1500 yard switcher in the yard at Benson next to
the Farmer’s Co-op elevator. The crew are having their lunch in a local diner.
This is the more modern Athearn model, a super detailed model but rather fragile.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

One of the reasons I started modelling the American railroad was the range of colourful liveries that were used by some roads. Here are some examples.
My old buddy Andy Knott came up a few weeks ago and brought with him his latest acquisitions. He took a few photos of them working in the yard at Benson.
They are all DCC Atlas models of various geeps.

This is a more modern EMD GP38-2.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

This Great Northern EMD GP30 2250 HP #3016 was one of the first proper US outline locomotive I bought and was a favourite of mine. It has a different profile and is slightly shorter than most geeps so is a useful machine if you are pushed for space.
With regard to the model it is assumed that it has arrived at Benson via the Frisco connection at Hope. It has not yet been re-painted into the Burlington Northern colours.
We see her here in the west yard at Benson behind the service station next to the grade crossing.

I make no apologise for showing more photos of my GN EMD GP30 I just like it.

Peter M 
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

The Rockville Building Supply Company make roof trusses, window frames and other general architectural wood work using locally sourced lumber. The finished products are shipped out in excess height box cars for the roof trusses and ordinary box or flat cars for the rest. This little industry provides much needed traffic for the railroad, it’s a good excuse to bring a few more cars onto the model and remove them when full.
This is the bog standard Atlas kit with lots of added details and figures.

Peter M
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

I can see you having a lot of fun shunting (switching) with all those fab looking locos.