The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
IanAlan

Re: The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Post by IanAlan »

Hi everyone,
I made a start on the base for the modern lifting level crossing today, so perhaps it won't be too long before it appears on the layout - I mean weeks rather than months. There are also a few more scenic features to go the layout - hopefully soon.

All's Well on the SGR

The Flying Scotsman Arriving at Arkwright's Mill Station

Another Fine View of Old Faithful
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Looking Down

Looking Towards Paisley Tunnel

Baaaa!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Poor sheep need a field with decent fencing. Nice though.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi MG,
Yes, it's a bit dangerous, but there simply isn't any room for fencing in the small spaces between the tracks. I remember that last year Chops mentioned the same thing regarding the horses. One of the many compromises on the layout. And thank you for saying it's nice.

I pleased to say that my boys Liverpool FC have just won the English League Cup (11 - 10 penalties) - the first piece of good news this week. I took these photos a few weeks ago, so I'll call them...

The Quiet before the Storm

IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi everyone,
Here are some more photos showing some of the recent small additions to the layout. They include a Dapol coal wagon that didn't want to stay on the rails even after I added extra weight. Eventually, I worked out that putting a heavy brake van behind it was enough to keep it from derailing 99% of the time. All the other additions are scenic.

Smith, Parkinson and Cole, Bradford

Streetlamp with CCTV Camera

Warning Lights

Signal Lights

Camp Coffee

Iron Jelloids

If you don't know what Iron Jelloids were, don't worry because neither did I until about two minutes ago when I googled it. As I suspected, they were a product with supposedly medicinal properties. Apparently, they were made using sub-carbonate of iron and jujube mass - whatever they are. They claimed to help growth in children and be beneficial for anaemic or run down adults, and were discontinued in the 1970s or 1980s. They sound like quack medicine to me, but I liked the miniature poster that came with the Wills Billboard kit. See Posts 440 and 441 for more poster boards from this kit, both big and small.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

I mentioned previously that I was making ramps for a modern 'raising and lowering' level crossing. I got these onto the layout last week and here are a couple of photos that I took today. I think that the ramps need dirtying up a bit - the grey needs to be more grimy brown.

Modern Level Crossing at Shankly Gerrard Street

Modern Level Crossing at Arkwright's Mill

I actually managed to make the the gates so that they can go up and down. I realise that this is pointless as the gates would change shape as they rise, but I couldn't resist doing it. Unfortunately, having them unglued means that the gates rest on the surface of the ramp, which is wrong. A speck each of blu-tac will, hopefully, put this right. If you've got good eye-sight, you might have noticed that the nearest gate in the first picture is facing the wrong way - the lights should face outwards. My mistake. I made a hole for the support to go into, and I put it on the wrong side. Silly me.

The gates, flashing lights and lampposts with CCTV cameras come from the Wills Modern Security Gate kit. I plan to buy another next time I put in an order and perhaps I'll be able to sort things out so that they are all facing the right way.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi Ian,

I think I have a set of these crossing gates from a previous idea that didn’t materialise……. If I can find them you are more than welcome to them…… will take a look for them tomorrow.

Cheers Richard
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi HD,
Thank you for that. If you find them, please let me know. That would be much appreciated.
Ian

New and Old
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Old Faithful Passing the Vicarage

I See a Little Silhouette of a Man

View from Shankly towards Gdynia
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Always such a lot going on. It sounds fun (as it should be). :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.