Hamdden Railway Co.

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Journeyman

Re: Hamdden Railway Co.

Post by Journeyman »

Thanks Mick, I’m really enjoying this modelling and keep finding excuses to test run trains!

Dave.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Just catching up with these posts - really nice and original effects produced here........looking forward to seeing what comes after the test track.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Thanks Hound Dog, I’m still working on finalising what I’m going to do with the layout, getting my head round what it’s going to be seams to be important at the beginning to avoid dead ends. Lots of good advise and ideas on the forum so there is lots to sift through.

Dave.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Journeyman wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:11 am ................................I’m still working on finalising what I’m going to do with the layout,..............................

Dave.
Don't worry too much about that, enjoy the journey (no pun intended), it won't end up the way you envisaged it when you were still at the paper and pen stage :D
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Getting the bike out today teedoubleudee and going to find railway subject to photograph, all fodder for the layout and making an enjoyable journey of it :)
But as you say it’s better to start the journey rather than endlessly planning it.
Dave.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Tony House wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:51 pm Hi

Just seen the pile of track you got, it looked just like mine did when I got it out of storage from my shed.

I used a track cleaning rubber to rub the rail surface clean so as to check the condition of the track the vast majority was un-pitted. I then applied Wahl hair clipper oil to the track with a cotton pad and left it, the oil seams to act as a rust converter and it does not seam to effect the plastic sleepers, my steel track now looks as if I only brought it last month. (the tip to use Wahl hair clipper oil was posted by one of our American members,)

I would not use and type of wet and dry sanding paper as will result in rail surface being damaged.
Always pleased to be of service, the Wahl's thing was the recommendation of the famous professional model railroader, Lionel Strange of the UK. I find that a five year supply, consisting of maybe 3 or 4 ounces, lasts abundantly and is quite cheap. The latest in cleaning rails is "No-Ox," which really is quite pricey, and not easy to find. I hear it is quite superior to all methods, so I must find some.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I have some of that oil it was recommended as a lubricant for O gauge locos.
Nurse, the screens!
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Some progress with the railway, since the last post Hamdden Railway has been floated on the stock exchange. £50 pound shares issued and 50,000 sold.
That’s the good news, the bad news is I had to take on 18 directors, 6 of whom are from the GWR and an engineer who has just finished some railways in Island! :mrgreen:

First thing was to work out the run to take the track to a lower level, the slope will have to be 1in20. Made a declivity board and used it to set the test tack at the required incline.
Railway 113.jpg
Was pleased to find that all my engines managed to work the grade easily.
Railway 114.jpg
Next layed all the track using some gauges to keep things parallel and used a trammel bar to find the centres of the radii. Then I can draw in the circumferences to lay the cork.
Railway 116.jpg
Have been advised to take on the policemen now to prevent pilfering though how the pirates will appropriate track and ballast I’m not sure, looks like jobs for the boys to me!

Dave.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Back working on the railway this weekend, started by cutting lose the track bed and as you can see the glue had failed and was not holding in the middle.
Railway 124.jpg
Once that was re-glued I was able to set it up as a reversed grade and measure how much to cut out of the cross bracing.
Railway 127.jpg
The Railway Police we hired have been issued with uniforms but we have not seen them since giving them the trousers, jacket and caps, if any of them turnup on your railways can you let me know?

Dave.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Quick test this morning to see if the clearances work for Lawr Isod,
Railway 128.jpg
Railway 130.jpg
Railway 132.jpg
well that seams OK for my highest loco so will start laying track.

Dave.