Broadoak

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Walkingthedog

Re: Broadoak

Post by Walkingthedog »

And the 37 is still going strong.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

We still get the odd EWS Class 37 go past on the way to Eastleigh - a very distinctive sound.
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

Is that why they are called tractors do you think.
They may be old fashioned by todays standards but I still like them.

Kind regards Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

I must admit to liking the small class 25 diesels, but I think I like the earlier version most. To my eye the sides look more interesting with all the extra grilles, although in reality of course the body side grilles collected lots of brake dust so were not as practical as the grilles on the edge of the roof fitted to later built versions. I’m told they were called Rats because you found them every where.
The model is a Bachmann version and therefore runs very well.
I must have a moan at this stage and ask why don’t manufactures put crew figures in the cab at the assembly stage. It would save me at any rate a lot of hassle later on.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

Another smallish diesel I have a certain fondness for are the early class 30’s which of course in reality were never used on the Western until they were wearing a blue livery. In reality the Brush type 2’s were almost synonymous with the dieselisation of East Anglia. When deliveries reached no D5586 after that allocations were made elsewhere, some to the Western Region. Internal troubles caused problems, for instance crankcase fractures of the original Mirlees engine led to them being fitted with an English Electric12SVT engine until all were so fitted.
Mine is the Hornby version and was supposed to have a working fan, mine has never worked, but I’m not bothered to my mind it is a pointless gimmick that increases the price and is totally unnecessary. I must say though I do like the opening cab doors, one of which I have set in the open position. She runs quietly smoothly, certainly as well as my Bachmann models.

A selection of pictures of no D5509 working in the yard at various times before the clutter at the back of the water tower was added.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

A few photos of the later class 25 with the two tone livery that suited it very well I thought. This loco could only be used in summer for passenger trains as it has no boiler for train heating. Not a problem at Broadoak because with the demise of steam, passenger trains became a thing of the past.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

This selection of photos was taken some time ago when I had just started to model the GWR.
The railcar was purchased second hand from a dealer many years ago when I was exhibiting Two Sister’s Farm. It is a Lima model with large flanges on the wheels and the round motor powering it. She runs remarkably smoothly using a hand held controller with an extra resistance fitted. Obviously not as well as my other newer locomotives but still gives an acceptable performance.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

I have on odd occasions run the railcar no 22 with a trailing load, it makes for an interesting operation possibility. A wagon is collected from Broadoak yard then towed to the main line for delivery.

Peter M
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Running things a little different adds more interest.
Searching information (for my layout) on what ran through Leeds brought up that before 1900 the North British Railway sent a carriage all the way to Plymouth. The GWR sent one of their carriages the other way to Edinburgh. That service ran weekdays up to at least 1970s.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

Glencairn, I am surprised the GWR sent a carriage as far as Edinburgh. That is half the fun of modelling I think doing the research.

Kind regards Peter M