Benson, Arkansas

broadoak

Re: Benson, Arkansas

Post by broadoak »

I have been given a CD of photographs of my layout when it was still connected to Colonel's Crossing just before CC was dismantled. They were taken by my fellow Two Sisters operator and old buddy Andy Knott. Andy also owns most of the Eastern road power we see featured in some of the following photos.

The first three show a bankruptcy blue Rock Island SW1500 #947, an Athearn BB with added details rolling past the depot then the grade crossing at CC.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

TVRR Alco RS1 trundles over Colonel's Creek with a covered SF hopper in tow. The John Deere van driver is keen to get to his next job.
The RS1 and train are now clear of the crossing so the JD van driver sets off to repair a broken down tractor at a farm nearby.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

A couple of shots of another RI SW1500 # 942 wearing the livery she was originally delivered in working in the yard at Colonel’s crossing. Then with a load of pulp wood in the siding next to the ore loader.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

A General Electric 44ton switcher, the weight permitted the loco to be operated by one man.
The model is an un-decorated Bachmann example seen in the yard at Colonel’s Crossing.

A tatty farmer’s truck picking up some lumber at CC yard.

With a thunderstorm brewing we see a covered hopper and tank car in the back siding at Benson.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

An EMD SW1 600 hp end cab yard switcher with a maintenance of way train on a Sunday morning at Benson. A Walthers model.
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

A few more photos of Colonel's Crossing this time with a guest locomotive, a D&H Alco RS36 #5023 seen in the yard and passing the depot. Then working a load of ore cars through the loading plant. Photos by Andy Knott of one of his own locos.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

This photograph taken by Andy Knott graced the front cover of the Continental Modeller in May 2013.
It shows a Union Pacific GP 40 in the yard at Colonel’s Crossing next to the Farmer’s Coop elevator. The model is the more expensive Athearn with more details but fragile hand rails.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

An aerial view of Colonel’s Crossing looking down the yard from the tunnel end, bottom left. This originally hid the fiddle yard. The picture gives an idea of the track layout.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

A Rock Island BL2 in the yard at Benson with a 40 foot Union Pacific boxcar.

A Santa Fe EMD GP38-2 2000 HP road switcher wearing the merger colours of the merger that never happened. A much modified Athearn Blue Box model.

Bantex box company a small industry providing much needed traffic for the railroad.

Peter M
broadoak

Post by broadoak »

A view showing the small engine house and tunnel mouth at Colonel's Crossing.
A Talbot Valley RR Alco S2 is idling standing over the inspection pit.
Note the sophisticated point control, piano wire in tube and chocolate block connectors for knobs, it's never failed in well over twenty years use.

A general view of part of the loco servicing facility at CC. The two I & W geeps were not mine in fact but belonged to my old buddy Andy Knott who filmed them on a visit. They are both EMD GP38-2 2000hp road switchers, #381 has dynamic brakes #382 is not fitted with them.

Peter M