Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Hound Dog

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by Hound Dog »

For me one of the most iconic sights in railway history is the classic Blue Pullman and I have always harbored a desire to someday have one running on my layout - well that day has come.

I spotted a mint condition Bachmann 6 car set for sale a week or so ago, but it was more than I have ever paid for a single rail item and I went back and forth on whether or not to get it..........The most unlikely source finally sealed it for me - HMRC, who sent me a letter on Monday to advise that I had paid too much National Insurance last year and giving me a nice and timely refund.........the only obstacle now was getting it from the front door to the garage without Mrs Hound Dog finding out !

Pleased to report that this obstacle was overcome and what a beauty this model is.......run's super smoothly and looks amazing ..........I think factory fitted DCC decoders ( Soundtrax / Throttle Up) might eventually be replaced by ESU or Zimo sound decoders, and I note that one supplier offers a matched set, which I think would take this stunning model to yet another level.

A big thank you to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.......such delightful people, this week at least !

Cheers Richard
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The BP certainly looks the part on your layout. I have the N gauge version but nowhere to run it!!!
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Dear Mrs H.D. Not one to tell tales, but ------------------------ :lol:

--------------------------------------

A lovely looking model and as Steve says "Looks the part."

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Have you got a long tunnel to hide the MP in when Mrs H.D comes into the railway room. :lol:
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

It will need to be a very long tunnel of Channel proportions, as there is a lot more in railway room than the Pullman that Mrs H D doesn’t know about 😀........ even the railway room in the garage was about 6 months in the making before she found out about that.......... although to be fair, I have spent almost as much on Prosecco and Chocolate to keep her happy in front of Netflix of an evening !
IanS

Post by IanS »

I've been bitten by the e-bay bug. Fortunately for me (but not my bank account) I don't have anyone that will complain or I need to 'hide' them from.

All but one works in that the wheels go around when power is applied. The need an overhaul and good service then will be converted to DCC eventually. Many are Ringfield motors so should be easy enough (famous last words!) but some aren't.
dtb

Post by dtb »

don't need to hide any of my stuff, all comes to home via the usual couriers, 8 wagons, ancillary items and 6 coaches last week and wifey collects it from the safe place as well :lol:

nice haul IanS :D
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

These two are keeping me out of the train room - 100% supervision necessary at all times.
6149F1F1-F71A-47B3-807F-30D89E1F9A70.jpeg
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

First one, and then another American H0 shunting locos for potential future conversions into 7mm NG. They are both interesting in design for different reasons.
One is entirely made out of metal.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
dtb

Post by dtb »

Had some rotten luck recently, fancied a LMS Fowler 4P, upon arrival taking it out to inspect the loco I held by the body and the chassis dropped away. I f you are aware of this loco you will be aware the lugs of the chassis locate at the front with a screw under the bunker. The plastic boss which holds the brass ferrule was smashed. Seller said you can fix it with glue, I said no chance.

So purchased a second LMS Fowler 4P, ran great on DC, popped a decoder, it wouldn't have it, checked the decoder in the test bed loco and all good, so tried another decoder (always have a few different one's in stock). Nope, still not having it, couldn't source the problem until I decided to check the pickup from the 3 wheelsets. Front wheelset intermittent pick up, centre wheelset was dead and only a good connection on the rear wheelset. Now I'm not a great electrician but my other BR Fowler 4P which is DCC fitted picks up the current from all wheels. Seller said clean the pickups nah I said you can have it back.

Huh, the best one, R3244TTS Duke of Gloucester, although being advertised as a good runner the seller was obviously inept. The loco shuddered in both directions, no matter what I did wouldn't cure the issue.All the vibration between loco and tender loosened the screw that secures the tender drawbar to the loco. I flipped it over to put back and noticed the screw hole was full of oil, now why would that be apart from someone chucking a litre of oil at the loco in an attempt to cure the issue!
Anyway that has gone back as well, on the rebound I'm thinking of a Hornby Drummond 700 Black Motor but a Hornby Scot arrived today form KJB at £109 and is looking good on the DC test track.

Apologies for the long post but my experience could / may help others if they have issues with loco's.
Anyway I asked an Ebay seller if a Drummond he was selling was running well and if there was pickup from all wheels etc.

His reply 'This loco was purchased off a very good customer of mine who bought it new
He is a railway enthusiast and all of the locomotives I have purchased off him in the past have all been perfect and I have had no complaints off customers
This locomotive is like new (please look at the pictures) and as for running I don’t think it has been run'

So quite clearly he hasn't bothered to test it!
Oh yeah looking at the picture I can see it's a great runner. :lol: