Latest news.

Post here items relating to Dapol.
Mountain Goat

Re: Latest news.

Post by Mountain Goat »

I can see those selling it done in either Valleys Lines, or Arriva Trains liveries as many found their way into Wales as worked many a 142. (Actually much preferred 143's but if a 142 turned up instead I wasn't too disappointed apart from finding the cab light switch in their space age cabs (143's were easier to find things and felt noticeably quicker). I actually preferred working 142's and 143's than any other unit including class 50's with a short rake of Mk2's. Nothing replicated the thrill of working a good 143 or failing that, a 142.

Yes, curves were a problem and we occasionally got stuck round the bend in the Cockett area near Swansea. Somehow drivers managed to free them so we never actually needed assistance, but it came close!
Passengers loved them on the Heart of Wales line as they have excellent views looking at the scenery, especially going over Cynghordy viaduct. It did involve a transfer of passengers at either Llandrindod Wells or at Llanwrtyd Wells stations, as we had to bring the same unit back down, because due to fight curves on the Shrewsbury part of the line, no Crewe traincrew who operated the top section of the line was allowed to sign to operate 142's or 143's as a precaution in case one tried and they got stuck.
But generally though they were really nice units especially good for stop-go all station situations. So quick accelerating we regularly would catch up with a HST and we had additional stops they didn't stop at! (Yes, I was wondering we left the last station on time!). They also had an unexpected top speed well in excess of their official 75mph. Would not surprise me if 90mph was possible. I know 85 certainly was within their grasp, if not more if one was talking of a 143, and around 80 for a 142.
There was nothing more thrilling than either a 142 or a 143 hitting "Warp speed" when the rear coach started to shake and one knew one was motoring!
My most memorable memories were working 143's on the early winters mornings from Carmarthen on a Westbury service. Frost on the ground and arranging passengers to sit near the five heaters and away from the freezing draft of the doors. (Heaters were cosy and warm. Too hot for some, but they were like greenhouses! All glass! Have a lovely photograph somewhere of one (143) at night with glowing yellow windows in the dark surroundings which was taken at the bridge over Llandeilo Junction near Trostre (Llanelli).
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

The Sligo Rover

Post by The Sligo Rover »

Perhaps they will do a free exchange on some of the not so good wheels on my Dapol wagons that keep derailing.