Radio Control

Viscount

Radio Control

Post by Viscount »

My layout and locos are old and DCC is beyond capability of me and the machines! Has anyone any experience of using radio control on OO? I am interested in creating rechargeable shunter that could operate independently of the usual locomotives for things like assisting pushing up hills and the like. Appreciate any advice.
Mountain Goat

Re: Radio Control

Post by Mountain Goat »

Deltang comes to mind. There are a couple of other systems out there.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Viscount

Post by Viscount »

Thanks MG, that looks very interesting; will pursue.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Have had a look into this just out of interest and far as I know radio control systems are mainly aimed at garden railways. You will have a controller transmitter and a receiver in the locos.. The controller is a transmitter. each of the locos will need to have a receiver or module similar to DCC system. There are systems which have battery powered locos or you can supply through the track similar to DCC. I only had a read out of interest so I am no expert but it seemed to me that it was just as complicated as converting everything to DCC. If I were you I would stay with an good old fashioned DC system if you want to keep things simple.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
Viscount

Post by Viscount »

DCC would be too costly and difficult with the locos I've got. My interest is therefore to stick with DC but to consider if I can have independent control over just one or even a few locos. This would mean radio control and rechargeable batteries. Batteries could recharge off the same supply that gets fed to the track in theory. If I get anywhere, I will post on this forum to update.
Maz066

Post by Maz066 »

Radio control is just coming into the 00 scale and it sounds like you would be in an ideal place to look at battery powered radio control. Have a look at protocab. I have been watching developments to see if it is applicable to my layout. No more track cleaning :D :D :D
www.protocab.com
Peter
Viscount

Post by Viscount »

Thanks. That's very interesting. Scottish it would seem as am I. It's quite expensive but I imagine if it catches on, prices will fall. R/C toys are very cheap now. I had considered buying a toy and cannibalising; the motor control will be the tricky bit.
Stese

Post by Stese »

Instead individual control of locos what about supplying 12v dc to the track, and then using rc to control the speed of the loco.... saves having batteries.

another solution might be to replace the dc controller with something that has wireless control of the 12v output...
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Viscount

Post by Viscount »

@Stese

As I have DC and operate locos conventionally, I can't use the 12V on the rails to power R/C (as well as drive conventional locos at the same time).

Replacing the controller with a wireless one wouldn't allow me independent control of locos located on the same track unless I'm not understanding your thinking.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Lima diesels are ideal for conversion as they have so much room inside, as do older Hornby locos. One could almost hide a pair of socks in there, not that one would want to.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...