Not how to see the Tornado

Modelling railways using real steam power.
collectors

Not how to see the Tornado

Post by collectors »

I was living in NW London a few year back when this brand new Tornado steam train was doing a maiden trip to Kings Cross & back out again. I thought what a photo opportunity. Now I knew it would be coming out via Potters Bar & this would be busy & thought i would go to a bridge in a place called Hadley Wood as no one would be there. I took some steps with me as i new the bridge had a high parapet wall. Got there with about 5 minutes to spare, got the steps out near the bridge wall & climb up & totally forgot the line had been electrified with overhead cables & gantries all over the place. I didn't even bother with the camera, but it was nice with an overhead view to feel the power of that train with the smell of the steam/coal for about 1 minute.
Walkingthedog

Re: Not how to see the Tornado

Post by Walkingthedog »

I'd have thought the overhead would have passed under the bridge, not much good going over it.
Nurse, the screens!
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

I suppose if the overhead catenary is supported on gantries across the track the angle at which you view the scene may have quite an effect on what you can see. A bit like Venetian blinds the angle at which you look through them determines how much you can see.

Richard
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Ah I thought he meant he climbed his ladder forgetting about the overhead wires, not that they blocked his view.
Nurse, the screens!
collectors

Post by collectors »

Ah! wish I had taken a picture, lol. Around the bridge area, there was a lot more steel & infrastucture for the trains overhead pantograph cables. Not sure, but there is also a sub station very near?.
miffy

Post by miffy »

A bit like this one
collectors

Post by collectors »

miffy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:37 pm A bit like this one
LOL, That's the one, but even worse.
miffy

Post by miffy »

I usually try to get to small stations but my wife found this bridge so I thought I would give it a try!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The overhead was set up in certain areas well before the event of the end of using regular steam on the network. There is no overhead in my area though and not many colour light signals. Most of ours are lower quadrant semaphore type signals which I always thought look nicer then the upper quadrant types.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...