Operations in a small goods yard

Help with designing your track work
EssTee

Operations in a small goods yard

Post by EssTee »

Hi,

I am about to do my first 'proper' layout. It's in N gauge and small as this is more about finding my skill levels and improving them rather than a massive build. It's based on the Inglenook layout so it has some operating interest and it will be based in mid 30's to mid 40's. Here is a basic plan of it;

So A, B, C & D form the basic Inglenook with a scenic break at D into a fiddle yard. There is an additional spur to an Engine Shed with a coal stage adjacent. The idea is this is a private goods yard with it's own shunter which resides here. As well as being coal for sale in bunkers (probably at A) it will have its own coal stage (CS).

I have a couple of questions about operations. Firstly, were would the Ash Pit be to drop the fire? I wouldn't have thought adjacent to the coal stage as a fire risk, and for the same reason not onto the sleepers. so would it be between the Coal Stage and the shed or on the opposite side to the shed, or am I overthinking it?

Secondly, I plan to have a Mainline loco reverse in to exchange five wagons. I have imagined the scenario as follows; the shunter retires to the shed, the new wagons are reversed in and the brake van deposited on the spur in front of the shunter, the loco pulls forward to clear that point then deposits the five new wagons on 'A' before collecting the five old wagons from C, then pulls forward again before reversing to collect the brake van.

Once it has gone, the shunter can emerge in front of the new rake to perform it's duties.

Does that seem reasonable or is something outlandishly absurd? I don't mind a bit of imagination being used but don't want to get laughed at immediately it is seen by those with more knowledge.

Many thanks

Scott
Mountain Goat

Re: Operations in a small goods yard

Post by Mountain Goat »

No one will laugh. And don't worry. Most of us are going partially sighted in regards to the history of how things used to be done. I know roughly how railways worked about a decade ago as I used to work on them but I worked the passenger trains as a guard, so I may not know so much about the freight side. Others will know more.
I have seen pictures of ash on the sleepers at very small depots, though a proper ash emptying area preferably with some sort of ash pit would be preferred. I doubt there would be an issue in regards to ashes and fresh coal nearby. When we burn wood or coal for heating (Normally wood) woo can give sparks depending on the type of wood and if it had been seasoned or not etc, but coal itself will only give sparks when it is drawn through the loco as it is worked hard. Any cinders dropped down onto the ashpan I would have thought that it would not normally be an issue.
Hopefully someone can answer more on this in regards to location. I do know that things were normally worked out methodical to make tasks easier, and trackplans were carefully designed to avoid any conflicting movements in regards to safe working, hence headshunts or trailing crossovers were used at certain locations. (I am talking generally here and not specifically referring to your trackplan).

In regards to the operation of your little layout.
I think your thoughts on the likely shunting proceedure are correct. Just re-read the post and will ammend my reply accordingly.

I have had a thought whicn may help and that is to aatch old films on youtube. Some of these are very useful for getting an insight into day to day railway operations. The early British Railways films are real gems in this respect.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
EssTee

Post by EssTee »

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I will certainly have a look on YouTube.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

The description of the shunting moves are very reasonable and were common where simple exchange sidings were involved..

If we assume that the main line is "off stage" the main line train will have entered the sidings which are trailing to the main line (a usual arrangement) which entails propelling in. The guards van has to be stood aside while traffic is exchanged, and your description is perfect.

Once the outwards traffic is attached the brake van tied on the train is free to haul it away to its next destination.

The sidings shunting engine needs to stand out if the way while the main line train is present, but is then free to place the traffic as required.

However it was usual to provide notice boards indicating the limits beyond which the main line engine, and the local engine were allowed to work.

Often the track in private sidings was if only light construction and unable to bear the weight of a main liner, and the private loco and its driver were unsuitable to go in to the main line.

One feature of private sidings sometimes overlooked is the boundary gate. This was often left open and became overgrown but was a contractural necessity between the railway company and the siding owner. You may like to consider whether you model it. A 'bothy' for the crew and a weighbridge both for railway wagons and road carts would also be features.

There is still a siding which works like this at Heck, between York and Doncaster, very visible from East Coast expresses. It serves a brick and block manufacturers and a train calls nearly every day. All diesel of course. When the main line loco is in, the siding shunter sits in a small headshunt.

Dropping ash on the sleepers isn't that much of an issue, if the worst happens a bucket of water or a squirt from the injector overflow, or the slaker pipe should do the trick. A pit might be more of a hazard in a small yard, and would more than likely be hidden away inside the engine shed instead where it could be kept dry, clean(ish) and available for oiling up and inspecting. It would be easier to shovel up ash from sleeper level into a wheel barrow for disposal than keep heaving it up out of a pit, a small shunting engine would not create much ash in a day.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
EssTee

Post by EssTee »

Thank you very much for that detailed reply. I was aware of the gates between mainline and private sidings but hadn’t realised they were often left open. At the moment this is all I plan to model, but moving forward I will have this connected to a branch terminus and the plan is that these sidings are ex mainline tracks so I can bring a mainline loco in to change rolling stock over. That way I can use the same tracks, (the weight capacity of the tracks hadn’t occurred to me so thanks for that) use a couple of mainline locos in the terminus with a small selection of coaches (i.e. use all my ‘toys’ and perhaps buy a couple more)!

I had planned a weighbridge for rolling stock just to the left of the leftmost point as it would then be in position to easily weigh trains both entering and leaving.

Thanks again