Gaugemaster 4 track controller

Walkingthedog

Re: Gaugemaster 4 track controller

Post by Walkingthedog »

My Gaugemasters lived in the loft for years. When not in use I covered them in an insulated wooden lid.

They now habitat a spare room.

There are other good makes, Morley being one, but Gaugemaster have the advantage of a lifetime guarantee. If you buy a second hand one and it develops a fault they will repair it free of charge as long as it hasn’t been tampered with. I got my latest one from eBay.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi

Unless you're competent with making a power supply (Mains to safe low voltage) for each of the four controllers, I seriously suggest you purchase the cased Model Q version. The panel mounting version needs 4 x separate 16volt AC feeds. Note Morley also make excellent controllers http://morleycontrollers.com/shopdispla ... talogid=27

Assuming you obtain the cased version (Model Q) you will find there are four separate 'Track' output pairs of terminals. Each pair goes to the rails of the track it is to control. The wire between controllers 'Track' terminal and rails depends on the length of wire. Often 7/0.2mm equipment wire is sufficient. But 16/0.2mm equipment wire can be used and is perhaps better where continual disconnection and re connection is involved. You can of course use a piece of two core cable such as 0.5mm2 twin flex.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

I have a new Morley, 2 track, comes with 2 handheld walkabouts,which can be extended, and 5 year warranty. I find the walkabouts, indespensible. Also have 4 track Guagemaster.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Of course, entirely up to you. Helps to tell which feed comes from which controller.
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

If using a panel version is best to feed each controller in the panel via seperate transformers or via totally seperate windings so you can wire using the common return method. Mind you, if you dont you can still wire for cab control but not wire common return.
I believe Gaugemaster cased controllers do accept common return wiring. With the panel controllers it depends how you supply the power.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
IanS

Post by IanS »

Brian Lambert wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:52 pm Hi

Unless you're competent with making a power supply (Mains to safe low voltage) for each of the four controllers, I seriously suggest you purchase the cased Model Q version. The panel mounting version needs 4 x separate 16volt AC feeds. Note Morley also make excellent controllers http://morleycontrollers.com/shopdispla ... talogid=27

Assuming you obtain the cased version (Model Q) you will find there are four separate 'Track' output pairs of terminals. Each pair goes to the rails of the track it is to control. The wire between controllers 'Track' terminal and rails depends on the length of wire. Often 7/0.2mm equipment wire is sufficient. But 16/0.2mm equipment wire can be used and is perhaps better where continual disconnection and re connection is involved. You can of course use a piece of two core cable such as 0.5mm2 twin flex.
I have a Model Q and use thinner wire to connect from the controller to the main bus that I use which is ex mains cable and quite thick. The Q would have not been able to take the wire directly as the terminals for the outputs are quite fiddly and small. It does also have 4x 16v outputs too.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The terminal blocks on the rear of Gaugemaster controllers that I have readily accept 16/0.2mm equipment wire without problems. They will also accept one 0.5mm2 flexible wire stripped from former two core mains flexible cable that's typically used for table lamps etc. :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Glad we helped. Did you look at the Morley 4 track one.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

It is a superb controller. Incredible very slow running.
Nurse, the screens!