Change of car? Maybe.

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Steve M

Change of car? Maybe.

Post by Steve M »

Two granddaughters, two dogs, dodgy knees and back and we're finding the family car is becoming 'challenging' so it is possibly time to shuffle the fleet.

The Spitfire is staying as its so cheap to run with exemptions for tax and MOT, and it satisfies the need for a two seat sports car. The Fiesta is also staying as its not very old and bl**dy quick, so that becomes my new toy.
Which means the Mazda MX5 has to move on. :cry:

Some say that the start of summer is the time to shift a convertible.......but they are wrong, based on my experiences this week.Trying a different ad on ebay so I don't have to resort to PX at the dealers. :roll:

And the replacement? Possibly a Ford Kuga - currently in Bristol but hopefully moving to my local dealer shortly.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
RogerB

Re: Change of car? Maybe.

Post by RogerB »

A neighbour has just got a Kuga and they seem very impressed with it.

Watch your back though Steve, it is a Sports Utility Vehicle after all - you dont want any more damage. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

My car is impressive. Ok, I admit little things like carpets are poor quality so need mats over them, but as a car to drive, once one gets used to its unusual handling etc, it is quite impressive and economical too. Though some things on the car were cheaply made, as an overall package it all goes together very well to give a very nice hasstle free drive (Which I need as I sometimes get energy loss) where I can finish my journey without the worn out feeling I sometines had when driving other cars. The rear seats can unclip and be removed in the same way some people carrier seats can... so I can have a flat level floor if desired. It just works!
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
collectors

Post by collectors »

Had new cars/vans most of my working life as i have mostly worked for myself & hoped to get reliability. But when i stopped work i had a new car for a while but always fancied an older x type jag, so i got one, would have preferred an S type, but out of my price band. Had it for about 3 years now with just a broken front spring to replace "£50" & servicing. Cost me £1,600.00 one owner from new with 80K on the clock.
In all fairness, it's a Ford Mondeo with a jag body. But i am very happy, & it's been very reliable.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Which one is yours Steve, there are loads of them on eBay. Surprised at prices, imagined they would fetch more. Must be the climate. John
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Got a MK 2 Octavia estate - hard as nails. 120,OOO miles from new and only recently replaced a cracked front spring and that's it. Get 65 to the gallon on motorways, its comfy and just keeps rumbling on. Can't get them new anymore, but Top Gear thought the Skoda Yeti was the dog's dangly bits for 4 years running.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Skoda Yeti isn’t made any more.

Octavia estate is still produced.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

yelrow wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm Which one is yours Steve, there are loads of them on eBay. Surprised at prices, imagined they would fetch more. Must be the climate. John
I had my eye on a blue 2.0 TDCi ‘Titanium’ with a few extra bells and whistles but the Ford dealer phoned to say they had discovered a problem with the gearbox so they weren’t going to sell me that one after all.
Back to trawling through their website I’m afraid but there are a few low mileage cars around 5 years old for under £10k that could fit the bill.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Steve, it was the Mazda I was looking at on eBay, not posh fords. Get yourself a decent Volvo, my v50, runs on air, and the acceleration, needs to be seen to be believed.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Yes John, there are a few. Prices are quite keen, and I would have thought a low mileage example like mine would have attracted a bit more interest than it did. My price was in the same area as those on eBay but the ‘offers’ I got were insulting to say the least.
Still, if it doesn’t go immediately it’s not the end of the world.