VOLTAGE TO TRACK

lead2327

VOLTAGE TO TRACK

Post by lead2327 »

HELLO NEED SOME MORE ADVICE PLEASE USING A MULTI METER IM GETTING DIFFERENT READINGS AROUND THE CIRCUIT I HAVE GAUGE MASTER PRODIGY ADVANCE SYSTEM WITH A 32/02 BUS. WHERE I HAVE 16.02 DROPPERS THE READINGS ARE FROM 6 VOLTS TO 12 BUT WHERE I HAVE 07-.02 DROPPERS THE READS ARE CONSTANT 2 VOLTS.I AM IN PROCESS OF REPLACING DROPPERS WITH ALL 16 02 AM I RIGHT IN THINKING THEY WILL INCREASE THE VOLTAGE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO POWER JUST THE TRACK IWILL BE USING A SEPERATE BUS FOR POINTS AND ACCESSARIES OR IS THIS DIFFERANCE TO BE EXPECTED THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Mod Edit. Please DO NOT use all capitals. It is considered to be SHOUTING.
Paul-H

Re: VOLTAGE TO TRACK

Post by Paul-H »

YOU ARE READING IN A/C MODE ARN'T YOU.

UNLESS YOUR LAYOUT IS MASSIVE YOU SHOULDN'T BE SEEING THOSE SORTS OF VOLTAGE DROP

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?
Brian

Re: VOLTAGE TO TRACK

Post by Brian »

Hi
Using a domestic multimeter to read DCC will never give correct / accurate reading. Due to the high frequency of the DCC signal - around 8KHz to 10KHz (8000 to 10000Hz). Domestic multimeters are designed to work typically on 50Hz to 60 Hz and often max out at 1KHz. The only accurate way to read DCC voltages is to use a True RMS Reading multimeter capable of reading at these higher frequencies, a RRAmp meter or an Oscilloscope.
However, a domestic multimeter set to read AC voltage of 20v or higher should give constant readings everywhere its used. Even if the actual reading isn't 100%, it should always be the same everywhere tested to roughly within a 0.5 of a volt.
For info. the AC is converted to DC by the decoder to power the locos motor and feed lights etc.

As others have said, using all capitals makes reading a post very hard and is in fact considered by internet users as shouting. But don't get hung up over it this time :D

Mod Note: Topic moved to the DCC forum area.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website