My layout

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Puddles

My layout

Post by Puddles »

After about five years of planning,building kits and spending loads of dosh this is as far as I have got.The layout is up in my loft which has its own staircase so very easy to access.
The track is one complete length I think it is called a chaser it goes under the baseboard and back up through the same tunnel. The system is dc split into eight isolated sections with each section having its own controller so when running up to six trains the speed of each train can be adjusted. It is all peco flexi track with each length having droppers soldered to the track and connected to the relevant controller. I must admit that a lot of those past years have been spent running the trains and not building the scenery and as you can see by the pics I am in a bit of a mess at the moment but still learning as I go on. Starting to ballast and build a station kit at the moment.

It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
Hound Dog

Re: My layout

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi - looks really interesting with lots of potential........ the only advice I would offer is to try to resist the temptation to have too much track ( not sure I followed that advice myself but that is part of learning), as it is the scenery that transforms things and the best layouts I have seen have managed to get the right balance.

Good luck and I will be following your progress with interest.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Wow that's a lot of track, not sure I could cope with handling that amount f traffic!. Well done sir.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Thank you Hound Dog and teedoubleudee for your comments.When I showed the man in the shop at peco in Devon the picture of my layout he said wow that’s a lot of track so maybe I have over done it a bit. Still I must have helped in keeping him employed. Eventually I will build a village in the middle and hope it will all balance out in the end.
Over the years I have learnt so much from you fellows on this forum as I did not have a clue when I started so thanks again for all the knowledge you pass on.

Puddles
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Puddles,
That's a mouth-watering layout you've created. No wonder you have spent your time running trains, rather than making scenic features. Delightful.

If you don't fancy doing all that ballasting, you could always paint the ballast on. Basically, a black- brown acrylic undercoat and then use a sponge to dab on the relevant colour(s) of the ballast. It worked fine for me although I did it before the track was fixed down.

I look forward to seeing some photos with your trains in action. :D
Drevant

Post by Drevant »

IanAlan wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:40 pmI look forward to seeing some photos with your trains in action.
Me too ! :D
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Nothing fixed yet, just getting a feel of what it will look like.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi,

Looking good - especially like how the embankment and backscene blend together so nicely.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

I was thinking that I like the way the backscene and the trains are so well integrated, then I read HD's comment. He beat me to it. A terrific effect. I also like the over and under tracks as seen in the first post. In fact, I'm really rather jealous, as I don't have anything like this in my layout. Please keep the pictures coming.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Thank you for your comments they are really helpful. When I purchased the backscenes I was not sure if they were right for the layout so I just cobbled together the scene with the half made station and two trains. Your input has made me look at it quite differently now so once again thank you gents.
Puddles