First Steam trip of the year for us.

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
sandy

First Steam trip of the year for us.

Post by sandy »

We have booked up our first steam hauled trip of the year. Going on the The Salopian Express and booked premier dinning first class. May as well be as comfortable as possible, the train leaves 6,19am and we don't get back untill 23.45 so it is a long day. We are looking forward to it very much.
Sandy
Roger O

Re: First Steam trip of the year for us.

Post by Roger O »

Good morning Sandy, lets hope the flood waters have receded by then as the station and town have been closed for a couple of days due to the flooding but crossed fingers it’s started to go down late yesterday Shrewsbury is a lovely place to visit but don’t tell every one as we like it quiet. Enjoy your rail trip and visit. Roger O.
sandy

Post by sandy »

Thanks for the tip Roger.
We should have been going on the 25th of march, they cancilled it, and now we go on the 27th May because of the floods. Hope things are more back to normal by then. I expect some parts will still be clearing up after the flooding. When Carlisle was flooded up here it was quite a while untill some areas got sorted out propperly.
Sandy
Roger O

Post by Roger O »

In Shrewsbury centre the shops remained dry as they are on the hill it was only properties adjacent to the river that flooded, the big problem was that Shrewsbury is in a loop of the river Severn so when the Severn gets flooded the roads into town get flooded cutting off access to the town.
StobartRailFanNo.1

Post by StobartRailFanNo.1 »

That's a long day, but it sounds like a very nice pleasant trip. I hope you enjoy it. ;) :)

StobartRailFanNo.1
sandy

Post by sandy »

StobartRailFanNo.1 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 pm That's a long day, but it sounds like a very nice pleasant trip. I hope you enjoy it. ;) :)

StobartRailFanNo.1
We are looking forward to it. Yes it is long day but we are only half mile from the station so when we arrive back there is not far to go hame. :D
Sandy
sandy

Post by sandy »

Roger O wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:01 am In Shrewsbury centre the shops remained dry as they are on the hill it was only properties adjacent to the river that flooded, the big problem was that Shrewsbury is in a loop of the river Severn so when the Severn gets flooded the roads into town get flooded cutting off access to the town.
Because of the corona thing going on we have cancelled our trip on the west coast line on May 28th. Pity.
I was surprised they charged us 20% cancellation fee, in view of the circumstances. Disgusting!........West Coast Rail tours. Don't pay in advance just put down deposit. Be warned.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

We’ve had to cancel two holidays so I'm afraid I am not surprised your day out has disappeared. Perhaps they could just run it for those not worried about spreading the virus.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Waiting to hear what restrictions are going to be put in place before we decide.
We have two holidays booked and paid for but as both are cottages in UK national parks we may still be able to continue.
Of not I would anticipate being able to bump the bookings forward a year assuming we are both still well.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Our May holiday is to our usual place in west Wales. Trouble is what happens if we are taken ill when we are there. Sods law says it will happen.
Nurse, the screens!