Ty Mawr

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Bandit Mick

Ty Mawr

Post by Bandit Mick »

After many many months (or is that years! I’m a very slow modeller) of lurking on the forum I thought it was time to show you the layout I am working on. It started life based on an O gauge track plan but then sort of grew in an organic (unplanned) way. It is loosely based on the GWR somewhere on the English-North Wales border. There is still lots to do - both basic scenery and detailing. Hope it’s good enough to show you.
A2642523-0DFE-4489-BA09-AAF0CFC19110.jpeg
7238CB0B-BD23-48E1-A5CC-73655C68290A.jpeg
C1AE4450-6882-480F-9DF5-7ECB553315F3.jpeg
Walkingthedog

Re: Ty Mawr

Post by Walkingthedog »

That looks great and the timing is perfect. I’ve just sold all my OO (over a hundred loco) and started on O. I don’t have much room but have a circuit, I like something running when I’m building something, and am adding some sidings. Looks a bit bare after my OO layout but seeing yours has given me something to think about. At the moment I have two locos, a 14XX and a Class 08 plus, wait for it, two wagons.
Nurse, the screens!
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Meant to ask where did the buildings come from?
Nurse, the screens!
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Bandit Mick wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:08 pm Hope it’s good enough to show you.
You are kidding right :o It's really good and you should be very pleased with yourself no matter how long it takes.
Thank you so much for sharing the photos.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Thanks WTD and Mr B. If you mean where did I buy the buildings, the station and signal box are Metcalf kits. Everything else is scratch built. Will ask my son to send through more pictures.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

A few more pics of Ty Mawr. It’s my first layout since I was a child when I had an n gauge and a OO layout but only as toys. Other than printed papers, scatter and other bits and bobs, everything has been made from stuff I’ve found e.g. cereal packets, twigs, coffee stirrers - I know you get the picture.
8524BF11-211F-4B1F-8480-A523369468B6.jpeg
A149E2EB-F080-4595-B724-AA64F9921575.jpeg
DC911E67-C7F3-4D70-95BA-6E4DB9D0A127.jpeg
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Really nice work, no matter how long it took....... loving the Miner’s Rest and especially the tree beside it - was that home made as well ?

Looking forward to see how the layout develops but it ooze’s a slowly sleepy pace of life, so be sure to enjoy it.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Thanks HD. Yes the trees are home made. Some are hydrangea spliced together and some are twigs spliced together - first using superglue then a toilet paper bandage covered in ...........PVA. A covering of teased out polyfibre covered in the wife’s spices to give an autumn look followed by a liberal coating of cheap hair spray. I paint the trunks to cover the bog roll bandage.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

When I viewed your posts on Monday the first thing that impressed me was the tree in your first picture.
I thought that must have cost a few pennies as it looks so real and it is a decent size. Now that I have read that you made it yourself I am even more impressed well done, using your information on how you made it will have a go at making one myself and hope it comes out looking as good. (our hydrangea needs pruning). Your layout is looking very nice.

Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

A lovely looking layout of the England and North Wales border. Well done.

I must 'pinch' your method of building trees. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.