Somewhere in Yorkshire

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Phil s

Somewhere in Yorkshire

Post by Phil s »

Hi all. I've always backed away from showing photos of my layout due to low skill level but you guys seem more friendly and tolerant than some forums I've been on so here goes....
The layout itself is in the garage and started out being set around the eighties with steam specials running, but as time has gone on its drifted more up to date. Think this is due to me taking notice of what's going on the railways and using trains more.
It's been 6 years in the making and is still along way from being finished. It's Dcc controlled with an nce power cab and is mostly ready to run rolling stock and locos.
Aerial shot of sidings.

Couple of the mpd yard (or TMD yard as they seem to be called now).

And a few random shots. Hope no one finds these too offensive, as you can see my modelling abilities aren't great, but I'm open to tips and criticism :D
Hound Dog

Re: Somewhere in Yorkshire

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi Phil,

Absolutely nothing on your layout for you to be at all embarrassed about - I think it looks great and you have plenty scope for mixed operations and further modelling........I think depot is great and well laid out.

I am still a relative rookie myself so not especially qualified to give advice, but I would suggest that the addition of some lining board and a backscene on the garage wall would add significant context, and after that it’s about introducing ground covering to the bare bits of baseboard and dressing the depot / sidings with the usual items that can be found lying around there, eg oil drums, stillages and inspection platforms etc.

You have done the hard bit in creating a working layout with plenty of additional potential and now it is just fine tuning to maximise the effect - looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Cheers Richard
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

There’s nothing wrong with your layout at all, looks great. Well done.

I’ve seen layouts at shows that make you think blimey they were brave displaying that. Yours is NOT in that category. :D
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Phil - I agree with everyone that it's first class. I would also agree with Richard (Hound Dog), that a "backscene" of sorts would give a bit more depth in some areas, but all in good time - remember "layouts are never finished". Barry (BB)
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I agree with the others - excellent work. Never be frightened to display your efforts on here, warts and all, constructive criticism is always a good thing.
For my part (and a favourite theme for me :D ) that depot is way too clean - you need to spill something on it. Preferably grime.

Keep it up.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

I totally agree with the comments from others - absolutely nothing to be ashamed of there.
Thankfully this forum remains a 'rivet counter' free zone!
My own layout is by no means exhibition standard, but the main thing is that I enjoy it.

Looking forward to further photos as things progress.
IanS

Post by IanS »

I totally agree with you, the efforts you have made are rubbish!

Well, that's what you wanted to hear ..... :mrgreen:

On the other hand, my honest opinion is that I wish mine was as good as yours! Your efforts represent a lot of blood, sweat and I'm sure, a few tears!. Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming.

You have plenty of space and already plenty of advice on how to develop your layout, remember though, that it is your layout and do what you wish with it to the best of your ability because rule 1 always applies!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Super modelling - you should be proud. This is a great forum - non critical and always helpful.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

If your layout gets severely criticised on here it is time to take up another hobby. :D
Nurse, the screens!
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

I agree with the comments already made, your layout looks fine and you should be proud of the work that you have put in to it.
Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.