Manufacturer "drawings"

A place where you can describe your model railway wished for items that are not currently available.
Bebbspoke

Manufacturer "drawings"

Post by Bebbspoke »

Hi there; - top of my "Manufacturers Wish List"
After much fruitless browsing; - 2 major problems are rife; -

1/ NO Manufacturer supplies adequate or properly "technical drawings" of their products...
As far as I'm concerned - a photo of a "product" along side a ruler is in NO WAY adequately dimensioned...
I suppose it's better than nothing but bottom line such is fairly useless and quite pathetic.

2/ WHEN will Manufacturers understand that "Small, Medium &/or Large" are merely relative...
but relative to WHAT? - especially as different Manufacturers have different opinions...
Please state CLEARLY & on an easy to find page the actual dimensions in mm or inches, thank you.
... & whilst on such matters... "Radius 3, 4 or 5... or 1st, 2nd or 3rd Curve again means NOTHING
UNLESS the ACTUAL dimensions are given. - It is surely common knowledge that the modern day variable of "Radius #1 or 1st Curve "standard(?)" has changed over the years...

Tell us EXACTLY what it it in millimetres, inches or whatever - simply please state non relativistic FACT.

Thank you.
RogerB

Re: Manufacturer "drawings"

Post by RogerB »

I'd have thought your comments would be better directed at the manufacturers you are complaining about.

We try not to rant on here.

R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

There is plenty of information on various manufacturers web-sites about radii of curves, dimensions of track, lengths of vehicles and such like, and as some else on her is wont to say Google is your friend. Modellers web sites frequently have useful information, especially within some splendid reviews that appear from time to time. In recent times track standards have pretty much settled down, and are common across different makes. The most useful dimension when making a purchase is the length and most manufacturers do include this in their catalogue or on their web-site. I am unaware that "Small, Medium or Large" are commonly used to describe track or any other vital pieces of equipment.

I am at a loss to know why anyone buying a model train would need a fully dimensioned general arrangement drawing prior to purchase. I would hope (and with a bit of insider knowledge I know) that manufacturers go to great pains to get the dimensions of their models correct, within the limits imposed by the strength of materials used, and the complexities of gauge standards, so why then demand to see the drawings?

Drawings are obtainable from a number of sources, not least the Historical Model Railway Society, which despite their title cater for recent stuff as well as ancient. If you are into the ultra modern the Diesel and Electric Modellers http://www.demu.org.uk/ is a great organisation to join.

I use General Arrangement drawings in the pursuit of my hobby, but they can be confusing and unhelpful to the average modeller when a picture will convey the appearance of a prospective purchase perfectly well.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The only variation in UK set track radii was its description changed from imperial to metric but the actual track pieces remained unaltered.
Chris

Post by Chris »

LC&DR wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:04 pm There is plenty of information on various manufacturers web-sites about radii of curves, dimensions of track, lengths of vehicles and such like, and as some else on her is wont to say Google is your friend. Modellers web sites frequently have useful information, especially within some splendid reviews that appear from time to time. In recent times track standards have pretty much settled down, and are common across different makes. The most useful dimension when making a purchase is the length and most manufacturers do include this in their catalogue or on their web-site. I am unaware that "Small, Medium or Large" are commonly used to describe track or any other vital pieces of equipment.

I am at a loss to know why anyone buying a model train would need a fully dimensioned general arrangement drawing prior to purchase. I would hope (and with a bit of insider knowledge I know) that manufacturers go to great pains to get the dimensions of their models correct, within the limits imposed by the strength of materials used, and the complexities of gauge standards, so why then demand to see the drawings?

Drawings are obtainable from a number of sources, not least the Historical Model Railway Society, which despite their title cater for recent stuff as well as ancient. If you are into the ultra modern the Diesel and Electric Modellers http://www.demu.org.uk/ is a great organisation to join.

I use General Arrangement drawings in the pursuit of my hobby, but they can be confusing and unhelpful to the average modeller when a picture will convey the appearance of a prospective purchase perfectly well.
I also imagine that in todays world of 3d printing that keeping accurate drawings that you have created private is reasonably important, it wouldn't take long before someone would be printing out your intellectual property for their own benefit.
Stese

Post by Stese »

What would you want a set of drawings for, exactly?
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.