Steampunk anyone?

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
darkscot

Steampunk anyone?

Post by darkscot »

Personally I find Steampunk quite attractive if done well, but this does not seem to be!

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/bassett-lowke-steampunk
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
IanS

Re: Steampunk anyone?

Post by IanS »

This post sent me off to youtube. This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yOjaLH6L-o video is the 3rd in a series but if you jump to 19:47 onwards you see the result.

I've always thought of SteamPunk as something you did to your locos, not something ready to run!
Chops

Post by Chops »

Hornby is quite brave to take this plunge. Can’t say it is terribly cute, the way Thomas thrilled everyone
(butnot me, I’m more of a Nessie guy). This reminds me of Lionel’s pink and pastel girl’s train set of
the 1950’s, and it was a terrible bust. People who enjoy the Steam Punk ethic will spend disposable
income upon costumes and accessories to see and be seen, not on a private collection of steam punk
trains.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

It’s a bit like rap ‘music’ - I just don’t get it. Must be my age or something.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Bandit Mick wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:10 am It’s a bit like rap ‘music’ - I just don’t get it. Must be my age or something.
👍
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

I can't say I get too worked up about it.

I suppose it is just a bit more eccentric but I would have thought Far Tottering and Oystercreek would have been more attractive.

Not for me I am afraid. I also feel a bit Miffed that the Bassett Lowke label has been attributed to this series.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

LC&DR wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:10 am I also feel a bit Miffed that the Bassett Lowke label has been attributed to this series.
That was one of my first thoughts also. Apparently it is because the name has 'Victorian connotations'.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

All that dressing up seems a bit ‘out there’ and attention seeking. However, each to their own and if it gets more people interested in the hobby then it’s a good thing. They may then move to the more traditional side of the hobby.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Bandit Mick wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:10 am It’s a bit like rap ‘music’ - I just don’t get it. Must be my age or something.
Ah, rap music. I suppose one has to thank the USA for that musical virus. Whilst serving with Brown Bess,
I received a daily blast of rap, shortly after reveille, that has left permanent brain damage.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I love the creativity of it, but I wonder if Hornby would have captured the idea better if they sold the locos as basic body shapes void of any detail and sell various seperate detailing packs to allow the individual to build up themselves their own customized locomotive, rolling stock and buildings etc.
Of course, younger children will need one piece ready made loco bodies but older children and adults would be much better served if they can buy a cheap budget loco stripped of all detail in which they could then start to build up the way they want it.

I have seen a cog detailing pack, but somehow they need a bit more. I like the idea very much though and I do get it. The costumes people make. What I don't get is people putting goggles on a hat and thinking they are steampunk. (In other words they have put no thought in other then to "Copy" where the whole concept is that one does not copy but does something unique and inventive).
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...