New Baseboards

All posts regarding baseboard construction
Roger O

New Baseboards

Post by Roger O »

Well at long last I’ve made the four 4‘x2’ base boards for the grandchildren’s layout all that’s left now is the final design for the track layout, I’m thinking putting the boards at each end side on allowing room for for a separate return lines around the back later. I did consider end to end but the children like to see locos going round not just shunting, I’ve purchased four trestles instead of fitted legs. I’ll post more photos when I’ve decided on a definite track plan, for any constructive comments and advice.
Roger O
brian1951

Re: New Baseboards

Post by brian1951 »

And about time too. :lol:
Roger O

Post by Roger O »

I know Brian let hope the enthusiasm remains now.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Good start Roger. Would make a great end to end if you have the room. Are you sure that your children will remain interested? It would be a shame to waste such an opportunity with so much space. O or OO? I’m thinking O for little fingers but OO for cost, although O is getting cheaper (or OO more expensive!) as time goes on.
JimRead

Post by JimRead »

Hello Roger,

I do hope you don't mind me saying this; may I ask you to hold your boards upright, put your foot on the bottom and try to twist them. If they move more than a millimetre or so they will warp. It's a simple test and could save you lots of money.

If they do move just try a couple of diagonals and do the test again you will find very little movement.

Here's one of mine I can twist it about 2.0 mm

All from 5.0mm cheap ply, I made my first layout using the method in 1982 in 2016 I met the guy whose using it now, it hasn't warped.

Cheers - Jim
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Well done Roger, looking good
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician