Scott Hill

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
darkscot

Scott Hill

Post by darkscot »

I thought it was about time I showed a picture of my current work in progress layout. My original plan was for it to be an end-to-end layout based very closely on Clayton West in the mid 40s. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/clayton_west/

However, I was 'persuaded' the it would be much more interesting for others* if there were trains going round and round! Knowing better than to argue I have ended up with the fictitious layout below. Despite hours of tinkering with various track plans I have still not finalised the goods yard layout. However, for the moment I have moved on to detailing the coal merchants siding which is the inglenook siding in the middle foreground.
This is partly because I am fed up with wiring and also to get some sort of perspective to develop the landscape.

*Grandchildren!
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
Bandit Mick

Re: Scott Hill

Post by Bandit Mick »

You’re doing a great job there. That’s the thing with our hobby - if you get fed up you can move onto some other part and come back later and refreshed. Keep up the good work.
PS I get bullied by my wife! I’m 6 foot 1 and she’s only 4 foot 8!
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Layout looking great
Cant wait to get mine at that stage
For now tho i keep my little brother occupied for hours with a n scale layout that keeps going round and round so I understand where you are coming from xD

https://streamable.com/c2if93
A little dingy , but I’ll get there :lol:
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

Well things have not progressed as much as I would have liked, very much a case of two steps forward one step back, but it has been good fun overall. As time allowed this week I have spent quite a bit of time tinkering with various landscaping materials I had 'in stock'. Also I discovered when doing some trial running of my coal yard that it wouldn't 'work', which resulted in some extra track laying.
Anyway, I think so far so good. The coal merchants yard itself uses Metcalfe cobbles and the coal dust effect is a base of real fine ash covered with black powder paint. Long way to go, but quite happy with it so far. Any suggestions or constructive criticisms welcome.

Last edited by darkscot on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Very nice so far! Keep going. :)
The wiring is as simple or as complex as you make it.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Coming along great, keep up the good work.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

It's looking good - no need to rush it. BB
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

I have done very little on the layout for the past couple of weeks, for various reason. However, this week it has been a mixture of soldering the up the DCC bus and ballasting. I left it alone for a couple of days after ballasting and today I did some test runs.

I have an Airfix 4F from the last century that I have been using to check the track. My thinking is if that can run on it then my various 264Ts should walk it.

Sadly things did not go to plan. Constant stalls, juddering and derailments (especially on a crossover) left me reaching for the Gordons!

Then I had a flash of inspiration! 'Why not try running it anti-clockwise!' Lo and behold it worked! Still the occasional judder, but no stalls and no derailments. When I put a rake of coal waggons on they actually looked much better going the 'other way'.
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

Well i have had an interesting weekend on the layout! After considerable vexations and assorted hassles, I have decided to give up and start again!

Drastic perhaps, but it just wasn't working as I wanted. So now I have rebuilt the baseboards as an L shape and it will be an end-to-end layout as originally envisaged. Probably with a reverse loop added at a later date.
Chops

Post by Chops »

darkscot wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm I thought it was about time I showed a picture of my current work in progress layout. My original plan was for it to be an end-to-end layout based very closely on Clayton West in the mid 40s. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/clayton_west/

However, I was 'persuaded' the it would be much more interesting for others* if there were trains going round and round! Knowing better than to argue I have ended up with the fictitious layout below. Despite hours of tinkering with various track plans I have still not finalised the goods yard layout. However, for the moment I have moved on to detailing the coal merchants siding which is the inglenook siding in the middle foreground.
This is partly because I am fed up with wiring and also to get some sort of perspective to develop the landscape.

If I may bump (my new word today, looked it up in the Dictionary of Urban Slang) your post, this is a most ingenious track plan. The crossover upon the main, leading into a station is so elegant that it invites plagiarism. Additionally, the coal yard maintains a charming thematic focus.

*Grandchildren!