Has anyone tried..?

All posts regarding baseboard construction
Shunter

Has anyone tried..?

Post by Shunter »

Cork insulation boards for topping off baseboards..? I've found someone who offers 30mm thick sheets which I think are thick enough to drop Peco point motors through.

Look a lot less faff - and probably more environmentally-friendly - than using foam insulation boards.
Walkingthedog

Re: Has anyone tried..?

Post by Walkingthedog »

It’s a bit thick to go on top of a baseboard. Why would you want to cover the baseboard in thick cork or foam insulation board. I lay my track straight on the ply baseboard.
Nurse, the screens!
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Do you really mean 30mm? That's more than one inch? Seems unlikely to me.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Shunter

Post by Shunter »

I want to create a small amount of scenery, like some of the lines running along an embankment.

It will also avoid having to cut holes through MDF to fit getting on for 20 point motors, plus make wiring up the bus wires and droppers loads easier.
IanS

Post by IanS »

teedoubleudee wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:31 pm Do you really mean 30mm? That's more than one inch? Seems unlikely to me.
There are sheets available up to 45mm thick. Why anyone would need them is a different question, but they're available (at a price!)
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

IanS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:10 am
teedoubleudee wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:31 pm Do you really mean 30mm? That's more than one inch? Seems unlikely to me.
There are sheets available up to 45mm thick. Why anyone would need them is a different question, but they're available (at a price!)
You learn something new everyday! Must be for heat or sound insulation I guess.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
IanS

Post by IanS »

They're not very big - 220 mm X 190 mm Just over 8.5inches by just under 7.5 inches. Sold by a company listed by Ebay for model railways.

45 mm is just over 1.75 inches so very thick. More like thick tiles.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I can’t think of anything less suitable for model railways. If the OP wants to add something to the board for scenery then insulation foam is a far better option and there are also options for point operation that avoid cutting the board.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

IanS wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:22 pm They're not very big - 220 mm X 190 mm Just over 8.5inches by just under 7.5 inches. Sold by a company listed by Ebay for model railways.

45 mm is just over 1.75 inches so very thick. More like thick tiles.
I think that using cork no matter how thick only supported by frame timbers will result in the same issues that folk had with Sundela that no matter how closely spaced the frame members where it would sag between them. If you supported it by plywood then you got to ask yourself what are you gaining using thick cork, maybe sound insulation, easy pin insertion? As for sinking point motors in it I think you will find it is as much work as cutting into ply.

A discussion regards point motors attached to points and cutting rectangular holes in plywood to accommodate them was held here quite recently and at the time I suggested a multi tool was the tool of choice and several members agreed. Lidl recently had an updated version of mine for sale at £19.99, I would have replaced my 7yr old version as its switch was playing up again but unfortunately owing to shielding missed out on the opportunity.

Richard
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I think the cork would be on top of MDF. MDF is not recommended for baseboards because when it is cut or drilled the dust produced is carcinogenic.
Nurse, the screens!