HELP ON DOING SECOND TIER

Help with designing your track work
superhoop54

HELP ON DOING SECOND TIER

Post by superhoop54 »

So, in the next couple of weeks I will have my boards in situ....going to use 1/2 inch plywood, question is to put in a second tier from the first tier do I us a thinner plywood or how do you run the second tier from the first level with the same 1/2 inch plywood.
Probably a stupid question but I am a total 66 year old novice so HELP
superhoop54

Re: HELP ON DOING SECOND TIER

Post by superhoop54 »

2nd question, although I am in Ireland can anyone recommend a UK source fr extra track ?? Thank you in advance .
Brian

Post by Brian »

I assume the upper level is to have track on it, not just scenery? If so, then you will have to brace the undersides of the ply to give it support and stop any warping, sagging or twisting occurring. Bracing can be 18mm x 22mm or similar with 12mm plywood. You need an absolute minimum head room from lower rail top to to underside of all bracing of the upper level of 60mm in OO. But in reality you will need much more headroom between the two layers. You will have to reach any derailed stock and clean rails on the underside section. So IMO around 100mm is about the lowest.
To ramp up from baseboard to top surface of the upper level at say 100mm above baseboard is going to need a slope of a minimum of 1 in 30 or shallower. So around 3000mm of slope is the minimum, but if any curve is included then you need to make the slope shallower to say 1:40 due to the drag of any coaches or wagons being pulled around the curve.
Note headroom measurements are always taken from the lower levels rail top as this ensures whatever is under the lower track - Cork, Foam or possibly nothing has no effect on the headroom distance. :D

Peco track is slowly coming back in stock but has been quite hard to obtain. No idea on what the supply of Hornby track is like? You haven't mentioned the scale your modelling in? So Im assuming its OO! Nor whether you're in NI or the Republic of Ireland?? If the later you will face import duty and whatever VAT is applicable in the Republic plus usually a collection charge.

There are many UK suppliers such as Hattons, Rails of Sheffield, Model Railways Direct. I personally usually use a more local shop and on-line retailer who always offers excellent service and good pricing - The Hobby Shop https://hobb-e-mail.com/ But there are many retailers all bidding for your custom :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
superhoop54

Post by superhoop54 »

Cheers for that Brian, that is great. Thank you. South of Ireland. BREXIT :( Customs etc pain
superhoop54

Post by superhoop54 »

Sorry 00 scale
IanS

Post by IanS »

superhoop54 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:49 am Cheers for that Brian, that is great. Thank you. South of Ireland. BREXIT :( Customs etc pain
Then a UK supplier isn't a 'good' option. Look for one in the North if you wish to save customs problems.

I did a postcode search for the codes for Belfast and used a one for a search on the Peco site. I used BT1 1AG and It came up with 2 shops in the north.

One looks like it doesn't have website and the other doesn't list Peco track on it's website!
PBoland

Post by PBoland »

superhoop54 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:49 pm So, in the next couple of weeks I will have my boards in situ....going to use 1/2 inch plywood, question is to put in a second tier from the first tier do I us a thinner plywood or how do you run the second tier from the first level with the same 1/2 inch plywood.
Probably a stupid question but I am a total 66 year old novice so HELP
Hiya and welcome. I have 3 levels and with my layout it is pure fiction, both design and what I run, although mainly British and a couple of CIE sets (I was an apprentice there in the 70's).I use whatever wood I can get my hands on, recycled etc :D. My gradient from the middle level to bottom was adjusted until it worked, wooden piers and blocks, then filled in with embankments. I am running out of space so I did an upper level in isolation with just end to end running, again with whatever wood is available. Once the baseboard is covered I don't see it!!

I have used Hattons since the '70's when I lived in Co.Meath, now live in the UK, so I'm not sure how Brexit will affect you, I also have a good local shop.
The Sligo Rover

Post by The Sligo Rover »

Hello superhoop54 and welcome.
You could always try this forum for assistance with where to purchase from in Ireland. https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/