WEST ORTON

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Steve M

WEST ORTON

Post by Steve M »

New thread for a new layout.

Shaddeholme has gone and Low Ghyll has been put on its new support so it was time to build the support frame for the new layout, West Orton.

This is an L-frame support that runs around the shed and gives a 2’ board width all round. It has been built 3” lower than the previous layout as the intention is to build 4’x2’ (or thereabouts) modules that can be removed easily to allow work under the boards at a better working angle. The boards will, I hope, be of varying depths to allow the landscape to fall below rail level. Thoughts are straying towards an embankment around one corner leading to a viaduct.

The board tops will be 9mm ply to save a bit of weight, framed at the sides with 12mm ply with the same for the stretchers. The end panels will be made of 18mm ply for strength. I intend to make these in pairs and drill holes for wires and connecting bolts with the ends screwed together temporarily to make matched pairs - should help with alignment. The bolt holes will be sleeved with aluminium tube to help with wear on the holes.

Most of the timber for this is already in the garage but first I need to give some thought to a track plan as that will determine the height of each board.

Image20210314_133701 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr

Image20210314_133624 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
IanS

Re: WEST ORTON

Post by IanS »

Looking good!

I am looking forward to seeing the layout develop from the bare bones of the table tops to a work of art :D
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I second that.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Won’t take him long once he gets started. Bet it will look great.
Nurse, the screens!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Great start in a great space Steve. Looks very cosy too.
sandy

Post by sandy »

Love that white draw set at the end. Just what I could do with for small items. Thanks for the idea Steve. :)
Sandy
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

sandy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:37 pm Love that white draw set at the end. Just what I could do with for small items. Thanks for the idea Steve. :)
Sandy - try Ikea for these.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

It looks lovely and tidy. A blank canvas to be creating on. We're all looking forward to seeing the progress. Enjoy.
cadman

Post by cadman »

Hi Steve..........can I suggest you consider corner fillets as It makes the position of curves around those 90 deg corners much easier and better use of the baseboard space.....suggested radius of 360mm so a second rad curve would fit inboard suitably spaced......HB
Sorry I'm late but I couldn't get my flip-flops to work :roll:
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

cadman wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:53 pm Hi Steve..........can I suggest you consider corner fillets as It makes the position of curves around those 90 deg corners much easier and better use of the baseboard space.....suggested radius of 360mm so a second rad curve would fit inboard suitably spaced......HB
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have planned for the corner boards to be trapezoid (I think that's the term) to cut the inner corners and leave the rear of the corner open. That allows wiring for the upper layout to fit behind the baseboard, and allow for, hopefully, curved back scenes. I made the mistake of leaving out the fillets on Low Ghyll - learnt from that mistake fairly quickly. ;)

I have my cutting list for B&Q ready for the morning. ;)