Legs for Baseboard?

All posts regarding baseboard construction
HappyWanderer

Legs for Baseboard?

Post by HappyWanderer »

Hi all,

Newbie here (well, as an adult, it's been many decades!)

I've just built a baseboard 2440mm x 1220mm using the vids on Hornby's site, but I'm wondering how best to go about putting legs onto it.

I'd like it to be desk height, and while knocking together the baseboard was relatively easy, I'm not sure that DIY-ing legs using some random timber for the builders merchants would be as straight-forward.

It is, of course, possible to buy proper table legs from DIY chains, which may be easier, but I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer :-)

Thanks in advance.
Steve M

Re: Legs for Baseboard?

Post by Steve M »

The simplest way would be to use some framing timber (about 2 1/2” x 2”) screwed into each corner of the baseboard frame. Fit the legs with leveling screws at the base and cross brace the legs to the frame.
You may need an extra leg in the middle of each of the long sides.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Another simple method is to construct "pocket legs". I only have one on my layout as the legs on my boards came as part of the board kit. Using 45mm sq. timber you cut two pieces the depth of your frame, these are glued and screwed to the framework leaving a 45mm space between the two pieces - the leg, at whatever length your require, slots tightly between the two shorter pieces - put a 10mm bolt throught the frame and the leg. Picture shows leg in place - apologies for the wiring :roll:

ImageIMG_0923 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It also depends on if the model railway is planned to be a permanent layout or a portable one.

As mine is designed to be portable, I made legs to fold into the baseboards. Having said that, this does add weight to the layout sections when I go to carry the things around!

One board has two pairs of legs and the other is fixed to this board so it only needs one pair of legs. The board with one pair of legs has been altered slightly to reduce weight but the principles shown in the photographs of it are clearer to explain. (The board with two pairs of legs is not so easy to work out visually how it unfolds, but basically the legs fold out on their main set of hinges, and an additional set of hinges on these legs folds out a stiffening arm (Or leg) which is bolted to the side of the layout using a quick release nut and bolt).

I will say that there are many ways to add legs. Most people use simple fold out trestles, especially on portable layouts because they are reliable and they work well.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Have just posted in viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3752 showing legs made out of two boards glued together and then braced to the frame work.

Dave.
That link didn’t work lets see if I can put it right if not here is a photo showing one of the legs. It’s made of two boards glued and screwed together it’s lighter than a solid leg and easyer to fasten to the framing of the base board.
Railway 021.jpg
Cheers, Dave.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

As some will remember I bought new baseboards last year and the legs supplied (optional extras) are tapered L-shaped girder style. There are six legs to support two boards. The legs are bolted to the base boards with 4 bolts. But as I need to move the board in and out from the wall while I complete the detail at the rear I found the legs tending to flex putting pressure on the bolts. So I bought some timber to tie the bottom end of the legs together. Being wide and a tight fit inside the "L" they stop any lateral movement and has made it much stronger. At the same time I added adjustable sliders (as opposed to castors) cut from the legs of my previous layout. On this type of flooring it is now a doddle to move the whole 11 foot layout back and forth for rear access.

Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
HappyWanderer

Post by HappyWanderer »

Thanks for your advice, everyone. That was all really useful.

I'm intending for my layout to be a permanent one, so folding legs aren't required.

Using advice from here I've now managed to get six legs attached, but not yet braced.

I like the adjustable feet/levelling screws idea, but that's not something I have any DIY experience with. There seems to be quite a variety on ebay and the large orange DIY chain's site. Can anybody recommend something in particular? Also, any advice on how to fit them would also be very appreciate :)
twalton1145

Post by twalton1145 »

This any good HW? Lots of useful stuff here.

https://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/cart_feet.htm
IanS

Post by IanS »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumnacon-Adjus ... p_d_rp_1_t

These are what I bought. Expensive but they are 'heavy duty' and have an approximately 50mm range. They were easy to fit and adjust. An electric drill with the right length extender hex key attachment made life easy, no need to get close to the floor!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I think the adjustable feet are all very much the same, but the price variation can be steep. Ian has shown his and admits they were expensive, I bought a box of ten on ebay for about £5.00 p there fine and do what they were supposed to do. So shop around.