Lack of Power

HappyWanderer

Lack of Power

Post by HappyWanderer »

Hi guys,

I've just assembled the track I had when I was young, which has been in storage for the last 25 years. Apologies for the stupidity of my question, but this is my first time having to worry about this stuff - it was all done for me in the past!

I've built a simple loop and tried to connect it to power, but nothing's happening.

As per the photo below, I have two controllers. It's the one on the left that I've tried hooking up, as the one on the right doesn't seem to have any wires.

I have no idea where to start analysing the issue. Is there anything obvious from the photo? It could be that the controller's died, or maybe I've not hooked it up correctly?

I'm happy to try connecting the controller on the right instead, can anyone advise what sort of wire I would need to buy?

Thanks in advance! :)

Walkingthedog

Re: Lack of Power

Post by Walkingthedog »

Is the controller working. Does it hum slightly when attached to the power supply. If not the fuse in the plug may have blown. Try the other controller. You just need a pair of wires from Track 1 or Track 2 terminals.
Nurse, the screens!
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Are the wires connected to the terminals on the track properly, looks a bit of a mess if you don’t mind me saying so.
Nurse, the screens!
HappyWanderer

Post by HappyWanderer »

Yeah the controller does hum!

The connection is as it came out of what it was boxed up in, but I have a good de/soldering machine so I'm happy to have a fiddle about and see if that makes any difference.

If I try the other controller is it just some sort of low-voltage 2 core cable I need to buy?
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Yes it is only 12 volts to the track. The wire to the track may be broken. Try a new piece.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Think I would remove all that old wiring and controller and then using a twin piece of flex wire or two singles connect the rail power clip to the No 1 Track pair of screw terminals and test again.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Stese

Post by Stese »

I'm with the others here... i'd tidy up the connections to the power clip, and see if it helps.

if you have a multimeter or continuity tester it may be worth checking the power clip is has a connection to each rail... it would also be worth checking if you are getting voltage between the contacts on the clip and then onto the rail(s)
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.