Reversing Loop.

Journeyman

Reversing Loop.

Post by Journeyman »

The next step is to wire up the Reversing Loop.

Am I right in thinking that if I insulate the section between the two sets of points using insulated fishplates (IRJ’s) I can wire in a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity in that section?
The process would then be drive into the section stop. Reverse the polarity of the section, reverse the direction on the controller and then drive out?
HRC.jpg
If there is a simpler way to do this or you can see a problem please let me know?

Cheers, Dave.
cadman

Re: Reversing Loop.

Post by cadman »

For a fully automated system have a look here......... http://www.blocksignalling.co.uk/index. ... view/11/98 but costs £35.......HB
Sorry I'm late but I couldn't get my flip-flops to work :roll:
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Remember that the length of the track between the IRJs needs to be longer than the length of your longest train including the rolling stock.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Brian

Post by Brian »

If the layout was by own, I would extend the Reverse loop area by adding a third pair of IRJs and thereby allowing the whole loop to become the reverse section. Drawing modified to show what I mean.

Its not clear what is to happen to the tracks leading away from the points I've marked as "A" and "B", but if they are just sidings then they too can be feed by the reverse loop. Otherwise add two more IRJs per track leading away from these points and feed the rails after the IRJs from the DC controller.

Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Steve M wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:20 pm Remember that the length of the track between the IRJs needs to be longer than the length of your longest train including the rolling stock.
Surely that only applies if all wheels are metal and there is a good chance of one of these wheels shorting out an IRJ.
Nurse, the screens!
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Is it not to do with all the train being in the loop before any part of it trips the polarity again? R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:53 pm Surely that only applies if all wheels are metal and there is a good chance of one of these wheels shorting out an IRJ.
Yes I does. There are very few carriages or wagons sold today that have all plastic wheels. Detailing on items today demands metal wheel sets.

A wheel trad will easily bridge a gap of IRJ spacing when the rails are close together even the end post of an IRJ offer a close fitting rail to rail joint.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Thank’s cadman, for the time being I’ll keep things cheep and simple at least until it’s all up and running maybe look into it later.

Thanks Steve will keep that in mind, along with WtD and Brians reason.

Cheers Brian your solution as always adds a lot more versatility to the layout so will add in the extra IRJ’s.
Yes the track leading away at the points are just sidings for various industries so will feed them from the Loop.

Hope to wire up that loop tomorrow so thanks to you all for your help, much appreciated.

Dave
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Brian wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:00 pm
Walkingthedog wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:53 pm Surely that only applies if all wheels are metal and there is a good chance of one of these wheels shorting out an IRJ.
Yes I does. There are very few carriages or wagons sold today that have all plastic wheels. Detailing on items today demands metal wheel sets.

A wheel trad will easily bridge a gap of IRJ spacing when the rails are close together even the end post of an IRJ offer a close fitting rail to rail joint.
Thanks Brian. When I had one I guess I must have been lucky. The polarity was changed by switches on the points.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:20 pm
Brian wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks Brian. When I had one I guess I must have been lucky. The polarity was changed by switches on the points.
Hi
If the reverse loops rails polarity is changed by a DPDT switch fitted onto and operated by a point motor/point direction, then the loops rails should always be set correctly before the loco reaches the IRJs of the loop, assuming the point is set prior to the arrival of the loco. So there will not be any shorting of IRJs by any metal wheels occurring. :D

Using a point fitted with a DPDT switch leading into and out of a Reverse Loop is an excellent way of controlling the loops rail polarity and it will always be set for the correct direction, assuming the point is set correctly. Basically its automatic switching of the reverse loop by one points position. ;)