peco turntable

tommyrob123

peco turntable

Post by tommyrob123 »

hi all, i am looking at installing the peco NB- 55 TURNTABLE. i am not bothered about motorizing it yet, quite happy to use m y hand. i do have one thought though, when you attach the track power won't it short when you alter direction. ie- won't + become -. using dcc system.
thanks for your thoughts.
Steve M

Re: peco turntable

Post by Steve M »

It won't. The split copper ring and contacts will take care of polarity.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Have a look at the little video I produced that shows the swapping of polarity as the Peco TT rotates https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC-Pag ... turntables (Scroll down a tad to the video) It may help your understanding further. Note the entrance/exit tracks polarity.:D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
tommyrob123

Post by tommyrob123 »

thanks for the video brian. explained everything. one more question, i have had no experience of n scale and i believe the couplings are different from 00 scale. are they better or a pain
Brian

Post by Brian »

N couplings are totally different to tension lock coupling used on OO UK items.
The N gauge coupling is a knuckle style and can be considered much like the very old Hornby Dublo coupling was, but smaller. You can lift a wagon or carriage out of a rake in a straight up lift where OO tension lock has to have both hook arms lifted to uncouple and the wagons etc pulled away on one side to release it.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
tommyrob123

Post by tommyrob123 »

keep this up Brian and I won't need to go anywhere else. last one for now i promise. when i had 00 gauge i found that i preferred Bachmann to Hornby as the motors were more powerful. in your opinion what make should i look for in n gauge, bachmann, kato, flechmann etc
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Depends what country you are modelling.
Nurse, the screens!
tommyrob123

Post by tommyrob123 »

hi, i would like to stick with steam from wherever.
GeoffAlan3

Post by GeoffAlan3 »

Union Mills make powerful locos. As Colin doesn't do internet, you need to find his current stock list, it appears in N Gauge Society magazine and N Gauge Now magazine. His phone number is 01624 853896 Based in the Isle of Man, a call in the morning usually sees a delivery next day and as a bonus you get some lovely IoM stamps.

I'd post his latest list, but the photo posting farcility is a pain. It often turns up in the N gauge Forum posts.
tommyrob123

Post by tommyrob123 »

thanks to all. after careful consideration i am going to go with diesel as there seems to be more choice for dcc and sound.
cheers