N Gauge Glueing

Help with layout scenics
SOOTYBRUM

N Gauge Glueing

Post by SOOTYBRUM »

Trying to glue some N gauge lights/benches/people etc to N gauge platforms but seem to be making a real mess of it. Using tweezers etc to position items and trying to use the least amount of glue possible but still getting smear marks/excess glue etc on the platforms etc. What's the secret of getting a nice clean adhesive sticking on the platforms? Thks for looking.
Walkingthedog

Re: N Gauge Glueing

Post by Walkingthedog »

What glue are you using?
Nurse, the screens!
SOOTYBRUM

Post by SOOTYBRUM »

Have tried UHU power (From Poundland) and Humbrol Poly Cement.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I used to use PVA for this purpose. It holds things in place but allows them to be removed later if necessary. UHU tends to be a bit stringy and poly cement is a definite no as it melts plastic.
There is a good product called Tacky Wax which is excellent.

Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I use Deluxe Glue n Glaze for this. Put a drop on a piece of waste plastic away from the layout then use a pin or a length of reasonably fine wire to transfer a small drop to the feet of the figure. Place on the layout with tweezers.
It dries clear quite quickly and will ‘hold’ almost immediately.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
andruec

Post by andruec »

When buying UHU be aware that there are at least two versions of their all purpose glue. The solvent based one is stringy, the solvent-free is not. However the solvent-free version is water based so has other drawbacks when used with card or printed items (although so far I've not had any issues).

For small items I create a puddle of glue and dip the item to be placed into it.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Take a scrap piece of paper and place a spot of the chosen glue onto the paper (I use a Post it note) Then dip the item to be fixed into the glue and immediately dab the glued area onto a clean area of the paper - removing some of the glue. Fix in place and no overspill is noted but there is still ample glue to retain the item. UHU, PVA, Superglue it works with whatever is to be stuck for me :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website