Eynsham in N Gauge

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
David Thomas

Eynsham in N Gauge

Post by David Thomas »

Hello,
I am new to this forum, and thus may not be posting in the right place. since lockdown i have been modelling-inspired by some local history research- the now long-gone station and environs at Eynsham, 3 miles from where I live. This is c. halfway between Oxford and Witney on the old Fairford branch. Before you say 'oh no, not another GWR branchline', this is different! The old Witney railway never quite conformed: the stations between Oxford and Witney were always painted green and cream, for example. Today nothing is left at Eynsham, which was the largest station between Oxford and Witney, with a grand stone goods shed and a large wooden station building from the mid 19th century, save the name 'Station Road' and the village by-pass following the track route between the now demolish roadbridge and the long gone level crossing (both now represented by roundabouts today). Passenger traffic ceased in 1962 and goods traffic, a few trains a week, in 1982, afterwhich the line was lifted. Old concrete fence posts remain along some stretches of fields and footpaths, but that is about it.

I was inspired by some local history research during lockdown, and walking the route, which has been the discussion of a possible Witney-Oxford tramway to relieve the horribly congested A40. the is a website dedicated to the Fairford branch, and three books, but few photographs publically avaliable. Gradually, via a village facebook site, photos have been sent to me (including some taken in 1958 from a helicopter!), while scale building plans in two of the books were a boon.

The model so far is 3.4m x60cm, portable in three sections, N Gauge and DCC. a fiddle yard behind the backscene allows me toi run it both as end to end or round and round. all scenery and buildings are scratchbuilt to scale (including the houses in Station Road, which still exist, track is Peco Code 55, rolling study etc are various including Fraish panniers, a Union Mills Collett and a railcar- these were the common locos on the line.

I am including some pics. I have been aiming to match the qwuality of the well-known Vale of Oxbury model, described by many as the best N gauge layout. I have strived for a line in a landscape, rather than a railway with a bit fo scenery. The landscpae is largely flat as this is the flat Thames valley, with some limited relef in the west. There is still alot of detailing going on and work at the east end (the roadbridge end was added on a few months ago, and I still have a pub to build.

I have been sharing the mdoel and its progress with the local Eynsham Facebook history site, with much enthusiasm garnered. I though I would now risk sharing with the modelling community. I would add that I modelled in 00 about 20 years ago, and sometimes in my youth, but this is a first effort for many many years. Any thoughts etc welcome. I am happy to share more pics of the construction process, building interiors etc , and also higher quality pics (these are all from my iphone). Many thanks!

Walkingthedog

Re: Eynsham in N Gauge

Post by Walkingthedog »

Welcome David. I am stunned when you say that is N gauge, the tiny detail is absolutely fantastic.
Nurse, the screens!
David Thomas

Post by David Thomas »

Thank you! I went for N gauge to be able to get more in and consequently place the line in the landscape, as I greatly enjoy scenery and building making as well as allowing more realism. I’ve feared for my eyes but ok so far!

Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Well you must have eyes like an owl.
Nurse, the screens!
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

And the patience of a Saint. Absolutely stunning, and yes please, more photos when you can. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

A great layout David and superb pictures. As has been said your eye for detail is tremendous. Nearly forgot - welcome to the forum. :)
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Some very good work there David. As a former N gauger I know how tricky it can be, but rewarding when you get it right.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Superb, just superb. You N gaugers amaze me.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Some nice N gauge modelling there Dave. Well Done.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
David Thomas

Post by David Thomas »

Thank you for your welcomed and positive comments!

It is certainly rewarding when it goes well, but there have been some interesting challenges. For example, the up loop platform. This was built in 1944 to aid troop movements to the many near by airfields ahead of D-Day. It was a simple concrete construction, on many (90+) concrete trellis legs (the original was preserved and is part of a rebuilt replica at the Didcot Rail Centre). Modelling it was tricky, a few pics below to show.

But I think the outcome is reasonable. The chain link fence attached to the leg structure was also tricky!