3D printers

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
Nine Elms

3D printers

Post by Nine Elms »

Do any of you learned people have a 3D printer and if so which one?

Thank you

John

Mod Note: Topic moved to the Tools section
IanS

Re: 3D printers

Post by IanS »

I did, but ended up giving it away!
It was one sold by Aldi a few years ago, modelled on a well known make. The problem with the printer was the sporadic use and the bunging up of the feed tubes and nozzles.
I had grand plans that came to an expensive nothing as the levelling process for the bed (much needed) was manual and I failed at getting it just right.
Stese

Post by Stese »

I have an ender-3 Pro, which i've used to print a few things for my layout.

here's a forum post about the things I've printed.

http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/view ... lit=heated

If you are looking to discuss getting a printer, I'm happy to assist by direct message if you like.

Regards,

Steve.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Nine Elms

Post by Nine Elms »

Thank you for your reply Steve. After further research I have purchased a Ender 3 v2 Pro, it should arrive tomorrow (22nd). Thanks for the invitation to get in touch, I'm sure I will take up this offer as I will need some guidance on various projects I have in mind. I am using Sketchup for my 3D modelling and I have experimented with some simple models and they seem to be okay when I have "sliced" them using Cura, time will tell when I get the printer up and running. One I did find out, during my research, was that the bed springs supplied are not very good and should be replaced, ordered them as well.
Regards
John
Stese

Post by Stese »

I'd highly recommend the Cura profiles provided by CHEP. Use the latest version available for your printer. Have a look for him on Youtube.

He also has a very good guide into 'levelling' the bed (it's a process known as tramming, and doesn't have anything to do with a spirit level!).

Lots of people I know of jump straight into printing/getting upgrades for their printers, and then have major issues getting the thing working from the get go. Other than the stiffer bedsprings, I'd resist the urge to get anymore until you've spent the time in getting the setup correct.

3d Printing is a hobby itself... welcome, have fun! :)
Last edited by Stese on Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Elms

Post by Nine Elms »

Sound advice, "softly, softly catchee Monkey!"
Sorry misspelt your name.
John
Stese

Post by Stese »

Stese isjust a nickname... i'm actually Steve. Anyway...i didn't notice until now 🤣
odlyprincess

Post by odlyprincess »

I have Creality Ender 3. Most creativity machines are rather sturdy; it is only a matter of how large of parts you want to be able to print. Prusas are appealing due of the continuous design enhancements they produce. Both brands may provide excellent prints. My advise is to acquire a less expensive machine, such as a Creality or similar clone, and invest in studying filaments. If you decide to upgrade to another printer, you may easily sell your present one and recoup most, if not all, of the cost.