Budget workbench

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
darkscot

Budget workbench

Post by darkscot »

For various reasons, mainly work related, I have not been doing much on my layout lately. However, I decided that it would help a LOT if I had a dedicated workbench. So I decided to take a gamble and get a cheap one off eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334204021969

It got quite mixed reviews, main criticisms related to the poor assembly instructions, but others complained it was cheaply made. Well yes! However, I must say I am very pleased with it and think it is great value for money and surprisingly robust once it is all put together.

Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
RogerB

Re: Budget workbench

Post by RogerB »

If you are happy with it, that’s all that matters. Does it come with the hooks for tools on the pegboard? R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
IanS

Post by IanS »

It does look interesting! Free delivery on a large parcel like that sounds good too!
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

What a bargain.
Nurse, the screens!
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

It comes with a dozen hooks for the pegboard, but they are just bent thick wire, so should be easy to make more.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Looks great value for money. Mine was built from Norm Abram, book, as were many other projects. Heather happily still uses the garden swing, 17 years after construction.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Now that I like!
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
dtb

Post by dtb »

looks decent, now clear the garage, my wife likes to hang on to stuff, all gotta go when the new kitchen arrives, after that it will be all mine :lol:
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I bought one pretty much identical several years ago and use it in my underground parking to service my motorbikes and a classic car.

Two suggestions, bolt it to the wall ina couple of places to make it 100% rigid and add a piece of 10 mm plywood to the worktop - thin MDF in mine at least - that makes a solid base for a small vise. I also added a banl of plug sockets and a strip light under the top shelf.

Since then I've sold the car and do the bike service, really just tightening the chains, in the outddors at my house and now the store room is the location for my model railway so the workbench gets a new lease of life :)
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

Simon_100 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:44 am Two suggestions, bolt it to the wall ina couple of places to make it 100% rigid and add a piece of 10 mm plywood to the worktop - thin MDF in mine at least - that makes a solid base for a small vise. I also added a banl of plug sockets and a strip light under the top shelf.
I did consider plywood on the worktop. The MDF is a tad on the thin side but seems strong enough for now. The strip light is a good idea. I think I have an old LED tape strip somewhere.