Sound fitted loco's.

trerod

Sound fitted loco's.

Post by trerod »

Hi, I am new to DCC and am still learning lots of different skills.
I have noticed the major manufacturers are now giving the option of DCC ready, DCC fitted and sound fitted loco's.
Are the sound fitted ones as good as a separately purchased sound decoder?
yelrow

Re: Sound fitted loco's.

Post by yelrow »

Other than the Hornby TTS ones, which Are to my mind adequate, I think the sound fitted ones are all fine. You can buy a better decoder, and fit it yourself, but I don’t think the end justifies the means. One you have run them a few times, many find them loud, and tend just to use sound when showing to friends, etc. If you want the real thing, look at the American locos, that come with cab chatter,. Driver sends mate for cup of coffee, all routes commented on. I have 2 of these, superb, but come at a price. MTH locos, are brilliant. Have a listen to one on the net.
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

The factory fitted decoders are usually ok but some people like to reblow (re program) the sounds with what they consider to be better sound files.

Most sound decoders can be reblown but some can't. Hornby's TTS decoders can't.

You need a special programmer to reblow sound decoders and each make needs a different programmer.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Usually cheaper to buy a ready fitted DCC sound loco than buying a loco and fitting DCC sound, but do not let that deter you as most 00 gauge locos can be sound fitted (In theory) as the largest issue is more of a lack of space than for other reasons.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...