Just having a look at TT

For those modelling in either TT and 3mm scales.
RogerB

Just having a look at TT

Post by RogerB »

A recent house move has resulted in a downsize of layout so I am looking at TT. There seems to be a resurgence of interest in the hobby. It would be interesting to hear from anyone either running TT or thinking about it. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
yelrow

Re: Just having a look at TT

Post by yelrow »

Hi, Rog. I run TT. Flexi track easily available from Peco. All mine is Triang TT, but there is a big German market, under a name i cant recall at present. You can pick up triang stuff, on ebay, reasonably cheaply. Have not tried to DCC it, . Remembered the name, Tillig, fairly sure that can be converted. You get a fairly big layout, on a Table Top.(TT). If you want a natter, email me . john
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

TT seems to be making a resurgence. I reckon it will be very popular. Go for it Roger.
Nurse, the screens!
hunslet

Post by hunslet »

I also have a collection of Triang TT items which I run occasionally.
The Triang items are readily available through a couple of dealers and also the well known auction site.
The Continental models are or were made by Rokal, Zeuke, Berlinnerbahn and I think from Roco at present.
As mentioned there seems to be an upsurge in interest as Peco are bringing out a range of TT tracks but I think that this is to a different scale to the Triang items ! As yet I have seen no rolilng stock but this may follow
My one prize TT item is a 3-unit Union Pacific Gas Turbine by the swiss firm Wesa but this runs in 13mm track although to 3 mm scale but will just run on Triang track.
Chops

Post by Chops »

TT is the Goldilocks of model trains; it is a pity that motorization had not advanced enough to accommodate it, thus we are left trying to wrest OO and HO into any available nook. N scale is too small to see, and Z scale runs the danger of being blown to kingdom come by a good sneeze. T scale one might accidentally inhale, preparatory to a good sneeze, or worse, stuck in your eye. I hope the best for this new marketing venture, but fear it is too little, too late.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

My two main concerns at present are

1. The lack of modern British outline engines, although with Peco producing track it must surely mean something is on the way. Vintage Tri-ang locos need, it seems, the wheels skimmed down and potentially point check rails being opened up a bit in order to run on modern track, which I would be going for.

2. How flexible is the flexi? I understand the manufacturing process has lowered the rails into the sleeper webbing making it more rigid than, say, OO. I have a board width of 30”. Problem solved by cutting the webbing - throughout the whole length. That’s going to be a PITA.

Decoders to fit are already available, and one supplier, German outline, will fit them.

Exciting times.

R-
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

There is a new TT Class 31and 66 on the horizon plus a J94.
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Rog, No, tis a myth about triang locos. All 6 of mine, run perfectly on Peco track. As to flexibility, its very flexible, will happily fit on small table. Pity you are not nearer, have plenty spare you could have borrowed. As for DCC, both Arnold and Tillig, locos, will accept decoders.. Ring me, if you have any questions. I run TT daily.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

@WTD - thanks for that, I’d seen the Heljan Class 31 availability from next year. Didn’t know about the other two though.

@ Yelrow - good to hear about the flexibility, will get some organised and try it.

R-
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Just had a quick chat with Peco technical bods who are suggesting that a conservative minimum radius for TT would be 15”. They did say that it very much depends on the production of rolling stock. I got the impression from them that it could go tighter but they clearly wanted to avoid the “a spokesman said” backlash. R-