Is it broken?

IanS

Is it broken?

Post by IanS »

It's been quite a while since my layout was connected to the DCC controller. Over the weekend it was ready for a re-run of some of the expensive DCC models I've obtained!

On Saturday I placed the 'Tornado' on the track, chose the loco number and away it went. The sound worked and although a little bit of dirty track at the back of the layout caused a momentary hiccup all went well. I placed another on the track and .... nothing. The 'Tornado' kept working so no short, but the loco wouldn't move.

So, I tried a few more but none of them moved. "OK", I thought, "it's been a while so maybe the chips have forgotten their addresses". "I'll sort that out later", I said to myself.

Monday I decided to have a go rather than watch a funeral on TV.
"I'll put them on the programming track and reset the chip and then set the numbers back up", was my thought. Nothing. I tried reading the numbers first, the controller went through the process but returned nothing (yes, the track and wheels are cleaned!). Then I tried putting the 'Tornado' back on the main track. Nothing! I checked the wiring, I changed the connector to the controller and still nothing. I have a track power detector board so tried that on the main track and it showed power was to the track. I also tried shorting it briefly with a screwdriver and the controller tripped as it is supposed to do.

Next step was to use the detector board on the programming track - nothing.
My dilemma is not knowing if the controller base unit is meant to be putting out power on the programming track when not actually programming a loco. I didn't think it wise to try and program with a loco on the track then to deliberately short it out if it was putting out power.

The controller is a Gaugemaster Prodigy Express 2 that I've had from new for about 4 or 5 years.
Is it broken or is there some other way of testing things that I've missed out?
If it is broken, is it likely that it can be repaired?
Brian

Re: Is it broken?

Post by Brian »

Prodigy DCC does not output on the Programming output unless its actually sending a programming instruction. So normally no power is seen on the programming track.

Try your loco with PoM programming - PoM is Programming on the Main. This uses full rail volts rather than the limited power of the programming track output. But personally, I would remove all other locos from the rails before proceeding with PoM just to be safe, as you don't want them all accidently reverting to default address of 03.

In the unlikely event of your PE being defective, Gaugemaster are just great in offering a repair service. So they are your contact place. While their DC systems carry a lifetime warranty their DCC systems do not. But they are often known for repairing DCC items free of charge or at very low cost.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
IanS

Re: Is it broken?

Post by IanS »

Thank you for the information that the Programming track isn't powered except when the programming track is communicating with the base unit.

I missed out that I did try Programming on Main with a couple of different locos with no other loco on the track, no change in behaviour. :(