How to make die-cast cars look more realistic

Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building or something related.
DickBrowne

How to make die-cast cars look more realistic

Post by DickBrowne »

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice here. I have a reasonable number of Oxford 1:76 vehicles for layout deployment and I have a bit of an issue with them. They're too shiny!

The paintwork on model cars is, to my eyes at least, always a bit unrealistic, too perfect and so on, so I'd like to do something to address that. I've considered attacking them with T-cut, or maybe some find grade wet and dry, but before breaking out the abrasive, I thought it best to ask if anybody else has any experience in this area?

i'm not looking for full rust-and-mud reality, but something subtle to stop, for instance, a goods vehicle which is likely to have been used hard for many thousands of miles looking like it's just rolled out of the showroom
Steve M

Re: How to make die-cast cars look more realistic

Post by Steve M »

The simplest way is to spray them with a good quality Matt varnish - but mask the Windows first or they will go completely opaque.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Knowing how thin paint finishes are I would stay away from anything abrasive and I include T-cut in that category. Probably the safest way to tone down the “shininess” would be to spray a thin coat of a Matt lacquer on the paint work taking care to mask off any windows. This will also help preserve any signage on the vehicle body.

Richard
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I used three Oxford Diecast black taxi's on my layout (taxi's are usually clean and shiny), and they actually came apart easily. There was a very small phillips screw and a rivet on the bottom of the car - the rivet head was easily drilled off, and the car came apart, chassis, interior, glazing and body. I just used a drop of superglue where the rivet head was when I put the car back together.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Turning the front wheels and flattening the tyres where they contact the ground also adds to the realism - a member on here gave me these tips and my vehicles look so much better.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Turning the front wheel can make a lot of difference.

]

Nurse, the screens!
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Bandit Mick wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:12 am Turning the front wheels and flattening the tyres where they contact the ground also adds to the realism - a member on here gave me these tips and my vehicles look so much better.
I recall the images of that vehicle. I believe he’d lifted one of the engine covers as well. Looked brilliant. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:34 am Turning the front wheel can make a lot of difference.

Lovely scene there WTD. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Add a driver if you can gain entry.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Thanks Roger.
Nurse, the screens!