Quarry line

Gixer

Quarry line

Post by Gixer »

My son's letting me build a small narrow gauge line in the quarry on our layout.
What i want to do is have a line coming out of a tunnel entrance though the quarry and then disappear into another tunnel.

OO9 seems to be the way to go but what I can't decide is if to have it running on a loop or go back and forth, I think I'd like to have a loop if I have enough room.
Question is, what's the tightest radius I can go if I'm going to run a 4 wheeled diesel and some small tipper rock wagons? (sorry for the wrong terminology)

Thanks

Dave
hunslet

Re: Quarry line

Post by hunslet »

Hi. I have an original Eggerbahn set with 9 mm narrow gauge 4-wheeled Diesel loco which has curves of 140 mm radius which the loco and tipper trucks take quite easily.

Regards, Colin.
Gixer

Post by Gixer »

Thanks for the swift reply.

That gives me something to work with, I might be able to fit a loop in.

Thanks again.
hunslet

Post by hunslet »

Her's a photo of my Eggerbahn track against Peco NG track ( Outer track is Triang TT gauge)

140 mm Radius is fine and should be able to do it with NG flexi track.

This is the loco. The black thing in front is a Kato N-gauge motor unit which runs fine on the Eggerbahn radius track and could form a basis for a small Diesel if you are stuck.

Maybe a Motor Rail loco which were used in many industries ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Rail

Regards, Colin.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Keep us posted how you get on Dave. I've just bought some 009 stock for a future project and still gathering info while I'm deciding what to do with it.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Gixer

Post by Gixer »

Thanks for the information hunslet.

I'm amazed how tight the turn is on the Eggerbahn track. A quick google search tells me its an old gauge and I guess not compatible with many loco's, modern track, etc.

I got a bit to learn here but is Peco NG the same as OO9?

As for the Motor Rail that would be awesome. There's an armored version at my local narrow gauge museum and I think its great :D

I'll update on my build thread teedoubleudee but it might be a while before I do it as there's loads to do first. before I start building the walls for the quarry I need to think where the tunnel entrances will go so need to try and get the dimensions.

Thanks again guys.

Dave
hunslet

Post by hunslet »

Originally you asked what the tightest radius a 4-wheel Diesel loco would run on and I replied with an example of the Eggerbahn system which used 140mm radius curves which the locos ran perfectly on. It may be an old system but the gauge is the same as current H0e and 009.
The Eggerbahn system is H0 scale ( 1/87) running on 9mm gauge track which is the same as "N" gauge but with larger sleepers to suit the larger scale.
009 is also pn 9mm gauge track but uses the 00 scale ( 1/76) .
Peco track could be either scale as both are 9mm gauge. Possibly the sleepers may be to 009 scale but as NG railways used different sizes of sleepers it does not matter.
The Eggerbahn track was only shown as an example of the curvature and a better solution would be to use Flexible track to a similar curvature.
Gixer

Post by Gixer »

Thanks Hunslet,

Much clearer, sorry you had to spell it out. So the Eggerbahn track shows how tight you can go.

It’s the NG sleeper spacing I’m after, I’ll get some NG flexible track and give it a go.

Thanks again.