Ancient castle walls etc

Help with layout scenics
rynd2it

Ancient castle walls etc

Post by rynd2it »

Hi,

I am trying to create some realistic stone walls, mostly ruined and very low level, as part of the remains of an old castle. All my searches are turning up things like the Javis dry stone walling which doesn't really work as it has a 'dressed' top. What I'm really looking for is stone pieces to actually build the walls - anyone know of a supplier? I know, I could go to the local builders merchant and bash some rocks up but I don't think I'd get regular enough results :)

The attached image will give an idea of what I'm trying to achieve

Thanks

David
Steve M

Re: Ancient castle walls etc

Post by Steve M »

Roll out some DAS clay to the required thickness and let it dry. Then break it up and build your own.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Get your self a old welsh roofing slate and cut it up, works a treat.
rynd2it

Post by rynd2it »

Thanks to you both, good ideas. I do have some real Welsh slates but they looked a bit too dark, we have used then for quarry walls etc.
I'll look at the DAS clay as well.

Any more ideas out there? All welcome

David
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

If you are trying to match the stone you need to find out where it was quarried (not easy these days) and buy some from there. Trouble is a lot of quaries stopped working years ago. A good stone supplier should be able to find the stuff for you. If you can find a good stone suppler these days. It seems to me it is difficult to find anybody who does anything much these days.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
rynd2it

Post by rynd2it »

footplate1947 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:31 am If you are trying to match the stone you need to find out where it was quarried (not easy these days) and buy some from there. Trouble is a lot of quaries stopped working years ago. A good stone supplier should be able to find the stuff for you. If you can find a good stone suppler these days. It seems to me it is difficult to find anybody who does anything much these days.
My records don't go back to 1240 AD, but a nice idea though ;-)
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I was not being funny. If you contact a good stone supplier they should be able to advise you. Up North where I live there are lots of people even farmers do there own drystone walls ect; and one of em told me when I was in Cumbria that they can match any thing but sometimes it take a while finding it. May I suggest you try asking some body in the trade. We have more stone up here than you have grass in the fields down your way. John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
rynd2it

Post by rynd2it »

footplate1947 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:32 am I was not being funny. If you contact a good stone supplier they should be able to advise you. Up North where I live there are lots of people even farmers do there own drystone walls ect; and one of em told me when I was in Cumbria that they can match any thing but sometimes it take a while finding it. May I suggest you try asking some body in the trade. We have more stone up here than you have grass in the fields down your way. John
Hi John, sorry if you took the reply the wrong way, it was me being funny (or trying to be).

The amount we need would be like one small slab broken up, and we're not trying to model a specific place, just an impression of one. The picture is from Dolbadarn Castle in North Wales, the Llanberis area is a sort of inspiration for what we are building. And it's a very long way from Norfolk.

The DAS clay is arriving today and I'll be looking at our slate stocks, we do have a few genuine Welsh roof slates to play with

Cheers

David
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

David i know the castle well, the walls are constructed from slate, so roof tiles would look totally original.
keef

Post by keef »

I would recommend Das.Easy to work with.Here is a couple of images where I have used it.
rocks.jpg
Maltby Main.NT Aus My children inherited 80% of there intelligence from there mother but yeah, the other 30% came from me.