Hi there everyone!

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
Del Boy

Hi there everyone!

Post by Del Boy »

I have just joined the Forum and looking forward to being able to contribute something in the future! For now though I suspect I need all of you more than you need me because I am just getting started in this hobby.

I started with just a Hornby 2 Loco DCC Train Set for my two Grandsons. It was fun for a while but now they have discovered Tablets and war games so trains don't cut it with them anymore.

Anyway I could not let the investment in baseboard, extra track etc go to waste so set up a modest layout myself. Read a lot of books about the S&DJR (which was the line running through my home town) and decided to have a go and move up a level or two and design and build a model railway.

I have now built a sectional layout frame and removable Baseboards from Sundeala (yes I know now Mistake no 1 BUT both Hornby and Peco recommended it for starters). I have been practising a mock up PM1 Gaugemaster turnout with Mimic LED's and that works pretty well. I am now at the stage of building the Loco Yard and wiring that up, eight turnouts in my initial estimation so that will keep me out of mischief for a while!

Wondering how its best to wire the boards together now, I have seen what look like old computer D pins as plugs and sockets so need to think that one through.

Anyway, thanks for listening and any comments or advice very welcome!

Cheers

Derek 8-)
Del57

Re: Hi there everyone!

Post by Del57 »

Welcome to the forum Del Boy, you'll find a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here, so if you ever find yourself looking for solutions to your railway modelling problems, you're in the right place.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Welcome to the friendly helpful forum. Be warned, it’s a very addictive hobby.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Welcome Derek

Be a little cautious of ready-made computer leads with D connectors factory fitted, as the wires inside the cable are very thin and may cause problems especially with solenoid point motor operation if the wires/pins are used singerly for a circuit. Doubling or better tripling up of wires/pins is one way of overcoming the problem though but means your 9/15/25 way cable is reduced in circuit numbers! So possibly more cables are then needed!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

He Derek and welcome to our forum.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
IanS

Post by IanS »

Welcome to the forum. Echoing the advice already given, go carefully with D connectors. Look at other alternatives too.
Del Boy

Post by Del Boy »

Wow thanks everyone, did not expect such a welcome and advice already! Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Derek
Stese

Post by Stese »

Welcome Derek!

I've used custom D connectors in the past with success, but I've never used manufactured cables with them, choosing to make my own. This means that I know the spec of the cores within.

Feel free to Private message me if you want some made up for you. :)

Regards,

Steve D.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Welcome to the forum - you have joined a great forum - lots of help, information and fun.
sandy

Post by sandy »

Welcome to the forum Derek. Plenty of know-how on here. They all helped me a lot.
Sandy