Dapol electric double home signal

Post here items relating to Dapol.
conrail

Dapol electric double home signal

Post by conrail »

running 00 gauge, I have a number of Dapol electric double home signals on my layout, all working fine except the last one installed 3 weeks ago,
it is a 'Dapol 4L-001-005 Signal - motorised, GWR bracket right hand junction bracket signal - two arms', everything seemed fine when installing, all wiring correct, but the short arm signal is in the permanently down position and wont move, even manually, having checked all I asume the electronics box may be out of alignment slightly, the other signal works fine, I have tried wrigglng it in the hope it will adjust, two weeks ago I contacted dapol by their online option but they have failed to reply, not impressed with their customer service,
is there a way to adjust the electroics box or to remove it to resit it without damaging it please
all help and advice appreciated
Brian

Re: Dapol electric double home signal

Post by Brian »

Dapol are terrible at Customer Service - Its almost non existent!

The new Dapol signals are Servo operated. It reads as though either the servo has failed or the electronics that operate the servo has failed. Assuming the wiring is 100%. You could check the wiring by swapping the working signals controls to the failed one and see if that makes any difference?

Have you adjusted the setting adjuster trim pot to set the arms On and Off positions?

Are you able to disconnect the large box under the signal and then push up the little U shaped push rod on the signal to make the arm move?

If proved not to work and the signal is new (newish) then return it to the place where purchased for a replacement or refund.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

I don't know about the newer double signals but I have some of the original single post ones which had failed and that I have modified to work with an external servo unit. The original's electronics and mechanics were accessed via a single tiny screw. Inside was a pcb, a small motor and a simple type of rack and pinion affair which moved the actuating arm up and down. They were notoriously prone to failure. The rack and pinion could easily get disengaged and this may may be the problem with yours unless the mechanism design has been changed in these later models. The mechanism is (or was) quite fiddly but can be reset to work again, though once failed will probably fail again.

However, if the signal is new and still under warranty I would suggest you return it for a replacement as once you open it up the warranty will become void.

Edit: Brian just beat me to it!
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
conrail

Post by conrail »

thank you Brian, re "You could check the wiring by swapping the working signals controls to the failed one and see if that makes any difference?
Have you adjusted the setting adjuster trim pot to set the arms On and Off positions?" will give that a try,
getting on in life so that is going to be fun,
no idea on removing the box underneath, I appreciate your help and advice,
thank you also teedoubleudee , I also appreciate your help and advice
Brian

Post by Brian »

The "Box" which contains the Servos and electronics AFAIK clips onto the base of the signal. You must have fitted it after installing the signal into the baseboard?
conrail

Post by conrail »

thank you Brian but does the box just pull off, don't want to damage it?
Brian

Post by Brian »

I know it clips on, so it should simply pull straight down to get it off / unclipped. But I don't have one to try this!!
Before trying to remove the 'Box' have you tried the following.... A reset of the failing signal? Adjusting the trim pot screws? All can be done without removing the 'Box"'.

Dapol video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFC4TWBRU6g
Jenni Kirk also has a video showing this signal, but again doesn't show removal of the "Box", just fitting it by clipping it on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37_FNy7L4uA
conrail

Post by conrail »

sorry about the delay in writing, I have been under the board to check things out, takes a while due to disability problems I can't just climb under and getting back out is even worse, tried resetting and moving the screw, then changed the wiring over, other signal works fine with either wiring set so switch and wiring not a problem so looks like the box, now do I pull at it and hope it comes off or just ignore the fact that I have a green signal on permanently? Dapol aren't responding to emails so I have emailed the shop I bought them from so see what they have to say then I will make the decision, again thank you for your advice
conrail

Post by conrail »

hi guys, just an update, bought the signal from Peter's Spares in Middlesbrough, usually go there for all my railway needs, always excellent service,
yesterday was no exception, took signal along with receipt, bought December 2nd last, they just exchanged it no problem so now back up and running,
for anybody with similar problems, hopefully nobody, or you want to change your layout and remove these signal, just grab the box underneath and pull down and it will come away, I was expecting to break the signal unit but no, anyway thank you teedoubleudee and Brian, I appreciate your help and advice.