Incline walls.

Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building or something related.
Nine Elms

Incline walls.

Post by Nine Elms »

I am in the process of building a layout with an incline. I have "scrounged" some off-cuts of Eco-Therm insulation which I am using for the incline. My question is: I would like to cover the exposed surface with printed brickwork and wondered what glue I could use to attach the paper to the foam? Have any of you tried this method or any other? I have found that hot glue will stick plywood to the foam so I can secure the inclines to the baseboard.
Thank you for any replies.

John
Stese

Re: Incline walls.

Post by Stese »

I feel normal strength PVA/School/White glue would work fine for this...
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
sandy

Station Platforms around 1900

Post by sandy »

What was the most common surface used for station platforms around 1900. My layout is based in the north of England / Scotland. (West coast line) I was thinking stone slabs. But not too sure.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

This is a picture of Crew in 1900. You can make out the slabs (just about)

Nurse, the screens!
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi,

On my layout I have fitted a retaining wall to my inclines, which I made by joining two pieces of underfloor insulation and then stepped down the slope with a fixed height over the rails so when trimmed the wall descends with the incline but retains a constant buttress height - easier to see in the pictures than explain in text. This gives a nice flat smooth surface to then cover with brick / stone papers etc.

I glued stone effect embossed wallpaper ( sourced on Ebay from Greek guy ( User Name : Starboc1)) using Rocket card glue........easy to apply and any seams or gaps can be hidden with scenic scatter / foilage etc.

The two images show an early stage without scenic effects and the second shows the finished article - LOL, it is never finished !

Hope this helps

Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

The retaining wall question was in June, Sandy wants to know about platforms. :)
Nurse, the screens!
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Oops…… never noticed the date on the original posting as it was the first time I had seen it……. No harm done and perhaps the info might be useful to somebody else.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

It will be useful. I replied to something 2 years old once.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:11 pm This is a picture of Crew in 1900. You can make out the slabs (just about)

Thanks for the advice Brian.
Sandy