Jouef 141R extra pickups

A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc.
RSR Engineer

Jouef 141R extra pickups

Post by RSR Engineer »

Good morning, fellow members.

Quite a number of the locos on my layout are of somewhat advanced years, dating from as far back as the late 1960s. A typical case in point is a Jouef 141R that I found at a local flea market / carboot. Typical Jouef of those days, tender drive (no problem), traction tyres (de rigueur), pickups on just the four wheels of the other bogie. This is a woefully short live wheelbase, totally inadequate for the dead-frog points and slips of the old layout (and thus perforce of part of the new one). As this was also something of a trial balloon, I made do with extra pickups on just one pair of driving wheels, which seems adequate in practice. Also, the work is not quite complete, as I still need to find a decent two-pole miniature plug and socket.

It's all a bit primitive and Heath-Robinson but then I'm no Werner von Siemens, nor am I much good at bending wire accurately.

The work is, as usual, documented and illustrated on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188026976 ... 0310022394

Cheers,
Artur
Last edited by RSR Engineer on Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RSR Engineer

Re: Jouef 141R extra pickups

Post by RSR Engineer »

In addition to the extra pickups, the tender needed a new power bogie chassis, because the gear train was jammed, and the loco needed a new front pony truck, because the wheels of the original one were decidedly out of true and rejoiced in derailing on every point frog (except when I watched it, of course). I was luckily able to obtain spares from a seller on eBay France.

There are a few videos of the 141R in action on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/188026976 ... 7994476728 (titles in alphabetical order).

Cheers,
Artur