Loading dock

Help with layout scenics
Bandit Mick

Loading dock

Post by Bandit Mick »

Hello everyone. A quick question - I have built a small loading dock/platform thingy. Should it have a ramp up to it or can it have a small set of steps? Thank you for your replies.
P.S. Am trying to send some pictures of progress on my layout but having trouble doing this. Will try again.
Walkingthedog

Re: Loading dock

Post by Walkingthedog »

I reckon it will need a ramp. Sack barrows are notoriously difficult (but not impossible) to get up steps when fully loaded. Unless it is just a small packages loading dock.
Nurse, the screens!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Thanks WTD.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Anything to make life more complicated :D
Nurse, the screens!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

You certainly did WTD. Ended up with ramp at one end and steps at the other! Thanks again.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

You could have gone with neither ramp or steps. There is a small canopied platform in the yard at Woking Station, where obviously from the state of the platform/canopy, many years ago lorries would back-up to the end of the platform and load whatever? Of course you would then have needed a roadway. Just my two pennyworth :lol:
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Thanks for your input BB. The idea of a canopy has got me thinking of this as an addition. Time to get out ruler and pencil. Thanks also for the reference - I’ll have a look at this for inspiration.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

If you look on Google maps and follow the line west out of Woking Station, the platform/canopy I referred to is on the left just at the beginning of the aggregate yard. I'm not sure what it was used for originally, it's a bit like the flying boat hangar just outside Wimbledon Station???