Peco / Hornby Compatibility

For those modelling in either TT and 3mm scales.
RogerB

Peco / Hornby Compatibility

Post by RogerB »

OK, schoolboy error #426. It seems for all the hype [mostly by a high ranking Hornby employee now gone] about Peco track being compatible with Hornby track that this is not the case. They are no doubt compatible in terms of materials used, country of manufacture, appearance, gauge and scale but they are not in every respect compatible. The Peco points are a little longer and the turnout radius is shallower and the Peco fishplates do not fit easily to Peco track, or for that matter the Hornby version. The result is my track laying with Hornby Points one side of the board and Peco the other is slightly out of kilter. So, rather than trying [after several goes] to make custom pieces of flexi I have decided to change all the points to the Hornby version. Therefore there will shortly be some Peco Unifrog points available for sale. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Too Tall

Re: Peco / Hornby Compatibility

Post by Too Tall »

RogerB .. they can join using Hornby (or better IMO, Tillig) fishplates.
Yes the radi of the points is different, but that is not insurmountable.
If its too late, and you have the Hornby points, how many Peco do you have ?
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

I agree, Hornby fishplates do fit correctly, but unless you managed to get some at product launch you might struggle now. They’ve been OOS at Hornby for months. Luckily for me a member on another forum sent me enough to complete the layout. I’ll have a look at what I have but I think it’s 2x L/H & 2x R/H. If you are interested let me know. R-
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

I may well be.
I don't actually need them as I don't intend to change my layout for the foreseeable future, but have replaced about 4 of the Hornby points already, and swore if I had replace another I would take the track up and replace it all with Peco :lol:
If you PM me what you have etc and how much you are after, i'll let you know ;)

For anyone else requiring fishplates, Tillig ones are a smidgeon snugger than Hornby and work a treat: https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/til ... 5-pack-tt/
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Certainly I’ll have a look. They are destined for eBay. R-
dtb

Post by dtb »

just don't buy Hornby, my 16* x 9' layout is completely peco and I have no running issues whatsoever.

Mod Edit: forum rules state criticism must be constructive. Your post has been edited.